Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 days in and feeling stressed

Default Re: 5 days in and feeling stressed

I have a 2 week old DS, I can relate. DS2 was a "surprise". lol My DD2 is only 1 year old! I have co-slept with all my children. DD2 is not in her own bed yet, and still wants my breast as well. Any way, it's harder to co-sleep with two especially wanting to protect DS. Thankfully he sleeps through the night (4 hours straight). He didn't the first week though! Thank god I live with my family and they were taking him while he would sleep so I could sleep. That being said, what I have found is of course I can NOT live on 4 hours of sleep. So I have a arm chair like pillow in the bed-you know the kind that has a back and two arm rest. I set up against that, strap on my brestfriend pillow, and have been able to hold him while sitting up and sleeping in the bed I do not move at all though in my sleep (never have) and so far so good for me. Probably wouldn't work for every one though, but it's been working for me so far.

You'll make it through......you will. Just try to sleep as much as you can. Can some one come and play with your older children and new baby while you can nap? I have sisters, 9, 11, and 14 who come and play with my children so I can nap. But, we all live together, I live in a basement apartment of my parents house, so that kind of helps me. But, I for sure know the exhaustion, add to it my age-20 years older then most with children my children's age! lol And I am right there with ya. But, we'll make it through. In a couple of months things will be fine!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Yay mama! Way to go!
    with PPs. Reading your post was like reliving the first weeks after my DS was born. He was attached all day and I felt like my poor DD was getting the short end of the stick. It was a rough adjustment. We did puzzles, read books, and did anything else I could think of that would work with me stuck on the couch those first weeks. I even caved in and broke my 30 mins of TV rule and we watched movies together. Eventually, we both got bored and I tried a sling. I think DS was about 5 weeks. He still won't let me nurse in it "hands free," but it'll support his little bum while I cradle him with one arm.
    The endless attachment is pretty well done, now. DS is 10 weeks. DD is none the worse for wear, and it's made the "just us" time we can spend together even more special.
    Relax and try to enjoy it. I wish I'd let myself relax about things more those first few weeks. I was trying to clean the house the day we got home from the hospital, so it wouldn't be dirty when my MIL came over to watch DD. When DH got home from work, he put me to bed Let's just say it took me a while to let my usual house standards slide a bit.
    Oh, and we started cosleeping, too. A matter of survival. I still get nervous about it; but if I was trying to get up and nurse DS every 3 hours at night, I wouldn't have the energy to keep up with both my kids during the day.
    Just go at your own pace and try not to overdo it. You'll find your groove. You might even look back on it all and laugh, or at least shake your head and think "silly me." I'm starting to do just that.
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!

Update: went in for a check up today and got good news! DS is 8lbs and 5 oz! Almost a pound up from his take home weight last thurs! And we checked his poopy diaper and there was no hidden blood (DD's issue). So I'm happy! He does have a plugged tear duct which we have to deal with, but that shouldn't be a big deal. And his belly button stump fell off so now we get real baths!

Good day even though the sleep last night wasn't great!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

You can express BM in a dropper and drop it in his eyes. Massage carefully. Clears up ducts wonderfully! Breast milk works for almost everything now that I think about it! We've used it for James' clogged duct, his eczema, scrapes, congestion, even DH's wound after surgery!
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Another update: we're adjusting slowly and it generally gets better every day. I swear DS lives in a growth spurt. Last Tuesday he weighed 10 lbs at his one month appt and today he was 10 lbs 14 oz. Crazy!
    Now I just have to worry about going back to work!

One day at a time! Thanks for all the support and advice ladies!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

That is great news, mama! Hopefully his blocked tear duct will clear up for him on it's own... my DD had blocked tear ducts as an infant, but they cleared up by the time she was 12 months. My DS also had blocked tear ducts, and one eye opened up on it's own, but we had to have 2 surgeries on his other eye to get the tear duct to open. But thankfully haven't had any issues since!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.