Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Forceful letdown...Help!

Default Forceful letdown...Help!

My son is 7 1/2 weeks old and the last week or so we have really been struggling with oversupply and forceful letdown. Today was the worst so far. This morning and this evening when I tried to nurse him he screamed and I had a hard time calming him down enough for him to finally latch. He has always been gassy but his poops are yellow and seem okay. The only symptom of all of this is choking. The crying only just started. I am just not sure what to do. I have tried feeding just on one side per feeding but I don't feel my right side is ever emptying and sometimes he doesn't always seem satisfied with my left breast only. I have tried the different nursing positions so he could maybe handle the flow better. Should I try to block for more than one feed? I really want to get this under control because it seems to be getting worse for not better. Any advice from experienced mom would be greatly appreciated. I just wanted to add that this seemed to start when he started sleeping longer at night. I've tried to wake him at night to feed more often but if he's not ready to eat he won't.
    Last edited by @llli*katebrownrn; October 15th, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Default Re: Forceful letdown...Help!

I offered the same breast for every feed for a block of time. So breast A for 3-5 hours depending on how many feeds, then breast B for the next 3-5. This way I knew the breast was being emptied. I also would hand express until letdown and let that spray into a towel. Once that was done I would latch baby. I would have multiple letdowns but the first was always the worst. It honestly took a week or two to see an improvement in the gas and puking. KUP and good luck!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: Forceful letdown...Help!

Ok now I'm not so sure it's the forceful letdown that is causing all this fussing. Not that I don't have that problem because I definately do but this morning he has been fussing since we woke up. He just pooped so that's not the problem. He won't latch at all so letdown isn't a problem. But when I put him to the breast he screams and gets all stiff. Finally I wrapped him up put him in the swing and now he's falling asleep. And he did this last night when I was trying to nurse him to sleep. This isn't his normal behavior for him and I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11