Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OS vs. small milk storage capacity

Default OS vs. small milk storage capacity

I'm still block feeding my 3.5 mo old, but it dawned on me today...how does small milk storage capacity affect things like oversupply? My LO is feeding pretty frequently...I would say about every hour and a half on average during the day, and no more than every 3 hrs during the night typically. While I haven't had engorgement issues for a while now, I can tell when my breasts are fuller than normal, even with block feeding (although maybe I could do longer on one side..) and her feeding frequently. Can you tell roughly what your milk storage capacity is like? I'm wondering if mine is on the smaller side of things....just curious!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Default Re: OS vs. small milk storage capacity

I'll think about this and get backmtomyou.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I don't think you can tell what your capacity will be. I do know, though, that you can change it. When I first started pumping this time for this baby, I couldn't go a long time without leaking and I would get several ounces. But now, I can go 8 hours overnight, not leak, and pump upwards of 12 oz. and my breast size has not changed.

I think what happens at the beginning is that you make a lot of milk, say 2-3 oz per hour (normal is more like 1 oz per hour), but your body doesn't quite know what to do with this, and you leak. But over time, your supply decreases naturally, since baby only removes so much, and your leaking also slows down because your body better handles being full.

I will say that even when nursing a toddler, if toddler skipped a nursing, I would feel full. I think that is normal.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ah, that makes sense, thanks! I am so looking forward to the day I no longer leak...dry clothes and no bunched up nursing pad at every feeding would be such a luxury!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com