Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipated baby wont nurse

Unhappy Constipated baby wont nurse

My 10 week old came out nursing like a champ; could hardly get her to take a bottle once a day. She also pooped 2-3 times/days. Week before she turned 2 months, she stared having poopy issues; now only goes once every 5-7 days and she's been a super fussy eater since then and REALLY gets fussy when attempting to nurse her. Much to my dismay, have given her prune juice a few times per her Dr. It worked once or twice but not since. I am so sad and frustrated! Anyone out there w the same issue?

Default Re: Constipated baby wont nurse

pretty normal for a baby that age.. more info here:

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm#NormalStools

At around the age of six weeks, the stooling pattern of a breastfed baby may change. It is not uncommon for the breastfed baby to skip days between bowel movements. Some babies skip every other day, some go every two or three days, some once every 5 - 7 days, and some babies hold out for up to 11 or 12 days at a time - then have quite a FULL diaper when they DO go!

There is absolutely no reason to intervene and try methods commonly used to "induce" a bowel movement (such as prune or other types of juices, water, glycerin suppositories, or using rectal stimulation). If artificial stimulation is done too often, the baby's system can become dependant upon this stimulation to "go", and no longer is able to have a normal bowel movement on their own.

In most cases, as long as baby is not acting ill (lethargic, crying in pain, etc.), the tummy is soft, not rigid or distended, skipping days between stools is not cause for alarm, however, mother should not hesitate to ask her health care provider to check her baby to be sure there is no physical problem.

The breastfed baby's stools may change in color, and baby may even have an occasional green stool. Consistently green stools, however, may indicate a problem, such as imbalance in foremilk/hindmilk, or sensitivity to something in mom's diet, such as dairy. Green stools do not always indicate a problem

with Andrea. Don't suspect constipation in an exclusively breastfed infant unless:
    - it has been more than a week since she last pooped
    - when she does poop, the poop can be described as dry, hard, formed, or pellet-like
    - baby appears to be in severe discomfort when she poops, turning red, screaming in pain

Can you tell us more about the fussy nursing, mama? Maybe we can help you figure out the cause, if it's not actually constipation that is to blame.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm experiencing the same issue with my 10 week old. He just went 12 days without pooping. I know he's getting enough to eat, because we're doing expressed milk right now and nursing just for comfort. (We're working with a IBCLC to try and get him nursing correctly.) He's in the 50-75th percentile for weight and is pretty chubby.

When we went to the doctor this week for his well visit, the nurse stated that he must be using up all of the milk and that's why he's not pooping. But the doctor was concerned and told me to give him 1-2 ounces of water a day, or juice mixed with water. If that doesn't work, she wants me to give him Miralax mixed in with his milk. I refuse to give him juice and the Miralax seems to be a bit much. He does not seem to be in pain, and when he does poop, it's soft and normal looking. (And it's always a lot!)

I've decided as long as my baby does not seem uncomfortable and is getting enough milk, then I'm not going to worry about it.
    Last edited by @llli*andy; October 16th, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Don't worry about it. My second kid went every 10-14 days. It's totally normal.

IMHO, doctors worry about the pooping thing too often. BF babies just don't get constipated. But FF babies can and will, and that's the majority of their patients.

I would suspect other reasons for fussing while eating first.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    IMHO, doctors worry about the pooping thing too often. BF babies just don't get constipated. But FF babies can and will, and that's the majority of their patients.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks everyone. Now that I feel better about the lack of bowel movements, my biggest concern is the nursing. She was never fussing at the breast until her bowel movements became irregular. At least half of the time now, she either is upset as soon as I try to put her on or she'll nurse perfectly happy for a 1-3 minutes and then all of the sudden she'll whine then immediately start screaming. I know she's getting milk because my breast is either dripping or 'll see it in her mouth. I'm trying to stay calm so as not to perpetuate the bad vibes, but it's getting so disheartening.