Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In pain, PLEASE HELP

Default In pain, PLEASE HELP

My left breast is incredibly sore when I am either pumping or breastfeeding. It does not hurt any other time. My right breast is completely fine and does not hurt at all.

What does this mean and how can I make it go away?

DS seems fine sucking on either side but it kills me to nurse my left side!
    July 27 2011

Default Re: In pain, PLEASE HELP

Have you felt around in your breast? Is it your breast itself that hurts, or your areola, or your nipple? Do you feel any lumps? Can you reproduce the pain with your hands to give us any more information? How does your breast look? Any redness or swelling?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

The nipple is sore and when I press down on it makes my whole breast sore. When DS is sucking or when I am pumping it feels like a sharp unbearable pain that consumes the entire breast. There isn't any swelling, redness or lumps - just a sharp pain when being sucked. It just started about 4-5 days ago. At first it was just with pumping so I started using a bigger horn which reduced the pain but not completely. Then each day I get just a little more pain during nursing until last night it became unbearable to nurse! I have still been nursing to keep the supply good in that breast but it hurts so bad I have to grit my teeth during the whole feeding...

I dont have a fever or anything either.
    July 27 2011

Anyone know what it could be?? I was thinking possibly thrush but DS doesnt have any symptoms and the other breast is fine. If it was an infection I would think there would be a fever but I do not have one.

Please help? I just had to nurse with that side again and oh.my.gosh it hurts so bad..
    July 27 2011

I am having the same problem in my right breast....it hurts so bad when baby latches and feeds and im using a nipple shield. It also hurts in the entire breast when im not nursing. Help!

Acesmom, pain when nursing throughout the breast and also when not nursing, particularly in relation to temeprature changes, is a possible signal of nipple blanching, vasospasm and/or Raynaud's phnenomena of the nipple. It can be because baby is clamping down or, like me, a situation on mom's end (I have Raynaud's--check link in my signature).

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

Zorkycharlemagne (what a name!) you might also have the same thing.

It's helpful to bf baby just before taking a shower, so you have a warm nipple. Then undress in front of the mirror and see if you have colour changes or if your nipple (tip) becomes white. Also check if a nice hot shower makes you feel better. That was how I finally figured out I had Raynaud's. The best treatment for Raynaud's is just to keep warm, wear layers, drink hot tea when you get an attack, and if it's severe put baby in his crib or carseat and take a shower. I tried the medicine this time with baby #2 for 11 days (14 day treatment) but my headaches were unbearable when taking care of a baby, also it's not recommended to take while bfing, the treatment for Raynaud's is an off-label usage of the drug (in my signature).

HTH!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Acesmom, pain when nursing throughout the breast and also when not nursing, particularly in relation to temeprature changes, is a possible signal of nipple blanching, vasospasm and/or Raynaud's phnenomena of the nipple. It can be because baby is clamping down or, like me, a situation on mom's end (I have Raynaud's--check link in my signature).

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

Zorkycharlemagne (what a name!) you might also have the same thing.

It's helpful to bf baby just before taking a shower, so you have a warm nipple. Then undress in front of the mirror and see if you have colour changes or if your nipple (tip) becomes white. Also check if a nice hot shower makes you feel better. That was how I finally figured out I had Raynaud's. The best treatment for Raynaud's is just to keep warm, wear layers, drink hot tea when you get an attack, and if it's severe put baby in his crib or carseat and take a shower. I tried the medicine this time with baby #2 for 11 days (14 day treatment) but my headaches were unbearable when taking care of a baby, also it's not recommended to take while bfing, the treatment for Raynaud's is an off-label usage of the drug (in my signature).

HTH!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm dealing with the same thing. My right breast is very sore to pump, just the right. I can't figure it out either

Thrush, blebs/blisters, plugs, vasospasm are all rule-outs. Hope you get some relief soon!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

bxlgirl: Can Raynaud's suddenly come up after 2.5 months and only affect 1 breast? If so then that could possibly be the problem but I do not know much about that syndrome. I read the link on your signature and I still cannot tell if that is what I have. The color of the nipple doesn't change after feeding or after a shower.

mommal: There isn't any visible bump or blister so I dont think it could be that

aces.mom.3 and aprilsmagic: I hope we all feel better soon!

I swear nursing is getting worse and worse. It hurts so bad.. No symptoms of DS having any pain in his mouth so I really dont know what it is. OB is not in his office til tuesday so I have to wait til tomorrow to call... I hope the pumping pain will not get worse. I still have to pump 3x at work today..
    July 27 2011