Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding difficulties *please help*

Default Breastfeeding difficulties *please help*

My baby boy is now 3 months old and i am only able to produce about 3 oz of breast milk and its just not enough for him. The same thing happened with my daughter. I ended up supplementing with formula and I really dont want to do that again. I have researched milk sharing and I am really interested in it. However, my sons pediatrician does not want me to do it because he says that milk sharing is not regulated and I am getting no help or direction from him. I was just wondering what my next step would be. I have tried fenugreek and it did not work for me

Default Re: Breastfeeding difficulties *please h

Are you only pumping and giving expressed milk in a bottle? If you're directly nursing, how much you pump isn't always a good sign of how much milk the *baby* is actually getting, they're a lot better at getting the milk out than a pump.

I'm sure others will chime in, but is your baby gaining enough weight? Is your doctor saying that he isn't growing?
    SAHM to threee (homebirthed) kiddos...
    Mouse 10/29/2008
    Chipmunk 4/16/2011
    LP 11/16/12

www.kimchilatkes.com

with pp--pump output does not match what what your LO can nurse. What has your LO's weight gain been like? How many wet and poopy diapers are you getting?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Lo in 2nd percentile for weight and not satisfied after eating. He has a good amount of wet diapers but not many poopy. Doctor is suggesting formula.

is he gaining weight?
    why do you think hes not satisfied? babies suck for a number of reasons, so just wanting to be at the breast does not mean they are not getting enough milk.

How often are you pumping 3 ounces, and is it in addition to your LO nursing? Babies need significantly less breastmilk than they do formula, generally 1-1.5 ounces per hour.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

What is your LOs weight history--2nd percentile isn't a problem if your LO has always been at the 2nd percentile. And by 3 mo, infrequent poopies is not unusual.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting