Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with expressing / keeping supply!

Question Help with expressing / keeping supply!

Hello, I could really do with some advice about expressing and keeping my supply up. My little man is 8 months old and has cows milk protein intolerance. My pattern loosely goes something like this:

4am Feed
    6am Feed
    10am Elliott bottle of expressed and I express for following day
    3pm Feed
    7pm Feed
    10pm Express for milk for breakfast

Now...expressing twice a day is quite frankly starting to get on my nerves. However I need to express at least once a day so Elliott has his 10am bottle (and now we've cracked that I am loathe to stop it as I really do want him to be comfortable with it when he goes to nursery in 6 weeks or so, albeit only 2 days a week to start with).

On that basis I think I need to keep going with the 10am express so when I go back to work I am able to express at that time. However it dawned on me this evening that his breakfast could be made with coconut / soya milk now and I probably don't need to express for that purpose (sorry this is so long winded!).

My question (you'll be glad to know I've finally got there) is two fold:

Do you think soya milk etc is ok for breakfast (just to mix with cereal) and secondly if I stop expressing at night will my supply be affected? My LO has cows milk protein intolerance.

If yes then should I keep expressing at night and leave the 10am feed out?

Phew.....makes me tired just thinking about it! Hope you can offer some insight. Thanks x

Default Re: Help with expressing / keeping suppl

If you stop pumping then your supply will diminish. And nursing will keep the supply up better than a pump can so make sure to try nursing more! If you are trying to build up a freezer stash then try pumping after nursing sessions. At first it will not be a lot but you can take what you get after a whole day then freeze it for when daycare starts.

I know pumping sucks I have do it 3x a day when I am at work and there are some mama's have pump for EVERY feeding because they cannot nurse! It is hard but definitely worth it so you can give your LO the best food possible. So the answer to your question is yes your supply will drop if you take out a pumping session unless you try to nurse more.
    July 27 2011

As far as I know you shouldn't replace BM with other types of milk (soy, coconut, rice). They don't have the same nutritional value, and often they have other stuff added (thickeners, stabilizers etc.) Also, many babies who are intolerant to cow's milk protein are also intolerant to soy protein.

Also, I agree with PP--if you drop a pumping session your overall supply will also drop. That is, not only will you "lose" the breakfast milk, but you might put the rest of your supply (other nursing and pumping sessions) at risk. For this reason alone it's not a good idea.

As for breakfast... if I understand it correctly, you are not replacing a milk feed, but rather looking for something to mix with cereal? *If you are NOT replacing a milk feed*, then you might use baby apple juice to mix with cereal. It's not ideal but it has the advantage of the extra vitamin C in the juice, which boosts your baby's absorption of iron in the cereal. And if you do this, then you can save the milk expressed from that evening session for when your LO goes to daycare.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Thank you for your advice.

I am a little confused to be honest, I know several people whose BF babies sleep right through the night and they don't express evening or in the night yet their supply regulates to match their baby. So on that note I don't understand why dropping the night expressing session would jeopardise my whole supply?

I am going to be in work 3 days a week from 8am to 6pm and that means I'll need to express twice during that time as things stand to make sure I keep my supply up, I don't have a problem with that and in fact will quite enjoy the break

Breakfast, I am not looking to replace a feed, my little man feeds at 4am then 6/7am and then takes a bottle (EBM) at 10am so by breakfast I actually meant his cereal which he has at 8am with some fruit. I thought it might be worth using the coconut dairy free drink I use myself as it contains calcium and has the same nutritional values as semi skimmed milk. Would apple juice not provide less calories if I used that?

Thank you!

My two cents... Since he's 8 months old and eating solids I would think there's some room for flexibility. Dropping the 10pm pumping session shouldn't cause a lot of problems, especially if you're open to an extra nursing here or there if he seems hungrier than usual. If you follow his cues, your body is going to adjust to however much your LO needs. My only thought about the soy or coconut milk is that soy is a fairly common allergen, so you might want to introduce it carefully and watch for reactions.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I defer to LLLKaren on this one. I might have been a tad overcautious in my reply (re: your supply).

As for this question:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kooky View Post
    by breakfast I actually meant his cereal which he has at 8am with some fruit. I thought it might be worth using the coconut dairy free drink I use myself as it contains calcium and has the same nutritional values as semi skimmed milk. Would apple juice not provide less calories if I used that?
    It's a good question and now I see your point. If it were me I would ask the pediatrician. The apple juice for the cereal was actually recommended to me by the pedi when I told him I prefer not to pump--with the understanding that the cereal is not replacing a nursing session. But your pedi knows your baby, the advice might be different.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Thank you very much. I can't put an extra feed in sadly once I go back to work but I am happy for him to feed whenever he likes generally (preferably not all night but I'm not adverse to a night feed, it's kind of nice, our quiet time )

I agree about soya, I'm going to leave that alone as soya yoghurt didn't agree with him much either. Coconut will hopefully be ok though.

I have my work meeting about going back on Wednesday so I might wait to see what they say then as I have requested time for breastfeeding breaks and I will see if they are going to awkward about it then decide whether to drop the 10pm or 10am pumping.

We would like to conceive in the near future also, and I haven't had a period yet, so that's another plus point for dropping an expressing session but I definitely don't want to jeopardise my supply.

Thanks very much again x