Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tired of the disrespect!!

Default Tired of the disrespect!!

So I knew from the beginning that my work with give me problems with pumping. I requested a refrigerator because my studio has none and where my studio is located in a walmart they told me to use walmart's public refrigerator that 500 employees use..so instead I bought an ice pack that I would rather use..my boss also told me that I had to clock out everytime I pump which is ok but we have two paid 15 minute breaks so why can't I use those to pump? My most recent incident with my boss was this last tuesday we had a meeting 2 and half hours away so as soon as I got there I had to pump, so I asked her where the meeting room was so I could pump (mind u this was in a hampton inn hotel) she tells me to use the bathroom, I tell her no that is unsanitary and will not so she replies saying that "we will discuss this. I will not pump in her meeting" so of course I get upset and pissed and call my mom to vent and while I'm in my rage crying my boss comes near me and I let her know how disrespected I felt where she replies to pump in the hotel lobby.. Which fine I'm ok with because I'm not embarrassed for supplying the best thing for my child but still, i felt disrespected by her. With that said, what really got me upset was today while at work I had my sign up and pumped in the studios waiting room( studio and waiting room has no door) and a man walks in and I ask him "can I help you" .. He notices what I'm doing and gets embarassed walks out and while he is walking I hear him say something about disgusting and how I needed to do that **** in private.. I was shocked and just sat there thinking did that really just happen?!! I know that part of the law is that I have a place away from intrusion but knowing how my boss and company is I don't know how to come to them for any help because they obviously don't care about what I am doing! And also can I do something legally if she doesn't provide with a PRIVATE place like the law states? Help me please!!
    Mommy 2 Melody (my brat) 11.12.08.. BF 4 12 months
    Mommy 2 Kallen (my sweetie) 6.20.11 still BF.. Plan on until 24 months!!

Default Re: Tired of the disrespect!!

Call a lawyer, legal aid. They should be able to help.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Do you work for WalMart? Do you have an HR dept?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

No I don't work for walmart.. I work for a company called cpicorp.. They have an hr department but it is ridiculous ever trying to get in touch with someone there.
    Mommy 2 Melody (my brat) 11.12.08.. BF 4 12 months
    Mommy 2 Kallen (my sweetie) 6.20.11 still BF.. Plan on until 24 months!!

I would definitely call a lawyer and ask what your options are. I can't believe that guy said that after walking in on you! How ignorant and RUDE!

Good Luck trying to get this figured out. Taking legal action is your best option I would think!
    July 27 2011

If I were you, I would document all of your requests and responses. I would probably at least attempt to contact HR, and document that. You might try calling either the Federal Department of Labor or the Department of Labor in your state. Here is a link about federal requirements.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Wow, mama. It sounds like you've been having a really tough time of it and really going above and beyond to make things work. And your boss sounds very unfair and like she's not meeting the federal law (assuming the company employs more than 50 people). It's great that you've hung in there despite all the stuff you've had to put up with!

Not to be the voice of dissent, but I don't think you have enough to go to a lawyer yet. I would try to work it out as much as possible before going that route. But, I would definitely document everything that's been going on (keep a journal with dates, etc). That way if it comes down to you you have some form of documentation.

You might try to request a meeting with your supervisor. Bring the information on the federal law and what it means. Also, have a plan going into it of what you want. My suggestions would be:

• tell her that you understand her wanting you to clock out and that, on the occasions that your pumping session will exceed your 15 minute break time, you will clock out. But that when it falls with in that time, you do not plan to clock out.

• I would also tell her that you need a private place with a locking door to pump. Like it or not, people will be embarrassed and won't know how to react if they walk in on you. So the easiest solution is for your work to meet the requirements of the law and provide a private area with a door that locks.

• When your on travel, I'd suggest trying to sort it out where you can pump ahead of time, that way you can decide what you're comfortable with and present it to your boss. If it's at a hotel, call first and see what accommodations they might have. If nothing else, stay behind in the car with big coat and a book. I have to do quite a bit if field work in remote locations at times and have pumped a ton in the car with a coat over me!

These would be mine, but really you might just take some time to decide what you need and what you'd like (my big items may not be yours, kwim).
    It seems that with some people, if you come to them with your plan, you're more likely to get what you want. Since it's been such an issue, I'd be really specific (what times you'll be pumping, how long, if you'll be clocking out at all, what accommodations they'll need to provide to meet the law, etc) It wouldn't hurt to print it out and give it to her. Then, if there's still issues, take it to the next level (probably human resources). If you can't sort it out from there, then maybe it's time to talk to a lawyer. But I would think that you'd have to show what you had done to convey your problems and document that they failed to meet federal law. Again, my first step would be to spell out what you need and try to work it out.