Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hope i Dont screw it up...

Default Hope i Dont screw it up...

My baby is 6 weeks old today and it was coincidently my first day back at work (just half time this week). While I was away for four hours he ate 5 oz. Unfortunately, I was only able to pump 3 oz while I was at work. I have been practicing pumping for weeks now, but always at the same time each night, does pumping in lieu of feedings also take practice? Is there always going to be a shortage? I am so worried I am going to mess this up, as BF has been going so well up until now!! Help...

Default Re: Hope i Dont screw it up...

Yes, it takes practice to pump instead of nurse. And, no, there will not always be a shortage.

Might be worth changing your membranes if you have been pumping regularly for a few weeks, then try again tomorrow. Take a photo of baby and a blanket she slept in.

Don't forget your compressions.

And relax!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks. I guess it will take some getting used to. I did have my phone with me, and I was flipping through all his sweet pics. Helped me relax, but didnt get much more milk (and I was compressing lots!).

This probably sounds daft, but when you say changing membranes, do you mean the silicone cup that creates the suction?

membranes depend on the pump you are using. my medela has little white membranes, my lansinoh has white v-shaped membranes. what are you using?

are you able to feed your lil one before you leave and right when you get home?

Well I have two pumps, but the one I have been using is an Ameda Purely Yours. I also have a Medela Pump In Style that I haven't used yet, but I am hoping this is the pump that can just stay up at work so I don't have to lug it back and forth.

I am able to feed him before and after (and have been trying), but sometimes the stinker just falls asleep or gets smiley and doesn't eat. Hard to make him understand he needs to fill up on mommy first!

I'd try that PISA out ASAP. I used an Ameda PY and honestly I don't think highly of it. I think it's underpowered and great for a mom who needs to pump occasionally, or for a mom who responds really well to pumping. But maybe not for a mom who doesn't meet those criteria.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. Yeah, I had planned on figuring it out last night, but sleep got the better of me and I just used the PY. So far my PY has been good to me--I average 3 oz in about 5 minutes, but I havent been using it until now in lieu of feedings (just one pumping session in the evening to build up a freezer stash).

I have a Lansinoh, which is exactly the same as a PY, and I have better results with it than a PISA or Freestyle, actually. I used it all day today, instead of my Symphony, and while I'm not up a few extra ounces, I'm OK and actually not sore, unlike when I use a PISA or Freestyle all ady.

Yes, the little white pointy membrane at the bottom, that points into the bottle, is what I mean. Not the cup thing. That never contacts milk. I've actually never replaced that part.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh ok, I got a few of those when I bought the pump. I will change it and see.

Today was much better, I pumped exactly what he ate, but I worked from home and I wonder if that made me feel more comfortable. Maybe it is the space I have to pump in at work...or maybe it was just an off day. We will see what tomorrow brings!

It is interesting to me that you ladies have had such different experiences with brands. I read about this before buying a pump, seems like some pumps just work better for different women. I bought the PY pump after reading about closed systems, and then was "lucky" in that my insurance gave me a free PISA when my son was in the NICU. So at least I have access to both. Whichever works better for me will be headed up to work.

And it's a learned response, too. I had a terrible, terrible time pumping the first couple of weeks for Gavin. Terrible. I knew how it should go, I knew how to make things work, but it just didn't work the same way. I still don't let down like I would for a baby to a pump. So, give yourself some time and this is why you need just a couple days' worth of stashed milk to start work with
    Susan