Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: first week back to work...

Default first week back to work...

So I'm really struggling more than I thought I would. Last week was my first week back to work. I'm a massage therapist, and am only giving one massage a day, pretty much same time every day,while DH watches our DD. I live 5 minutes away from work, and I'm only away for an hour and a half- 2 hours. Based on the fact that she's spaced out her feeds to about an hour and a half, sometimes 2, I hustle at work and am able to be back 'in time' to feed her, at least in theory, so I haven't pumped at all up to this point. I realize this is going to be a transition for her, so I thought I prepared myself for the crying that would inevitably ensue, but oh my! She has been red eyed and teary every day I've worked, and this evening was the worst--she wouldn't calm down even in my arms for quite some time. My DH tries to console me, telling me she'll eventually get used to it, that I'm in such a fortunate position to not be away for all that long, but I'm just having a hard time with this. She just doesn't cry the way she has been this past week... Is this a case of separation anxiety, or am I depriving her by not leaving a little milk--I just would hate to pump even a little for such a short time away. She'll be 4 months old next week...
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Default Re: first week back to work...

Is this the first time you have been away from her in her whole life?

Pretty much...there have been a couple hour long stints here and there, but she seemed fine with those..
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!

hmm, how long ago? If it has been a while, she may not remember that you will come back and may just need time to adjust. Are you upset when you are leaving her? If so, she may be playing off of you. Babies are so perceptive. If you are upset, it will upset her. I wouldn't think that being away from her for such a short period of time would be too long for her to go between feedings. Especially not if you feed her right before you leave and right when you get back.

I agree with PP, a couple of hours doesn't seem long enough for her to need milk. Also, since she's crying most of the time and really stressed the rest of the evening, it's probably separation anxiety! That one's a tough one. It may just be that her and your DH will need to sort it out. The milk would be a comfort thing. If you thought it would help you could try pumping, but really then your kind of committing to pumping at least once a day to get a bottle for her. I'd give the two of them a couple weeks or so to try to sort it out.

Hang in there mama!

Thanks for the input, ladies! I really stressed about the decision to not pump at all, since even though pumping seems like a pain, I would at least have the security of having extra milk "just in case". It's taken a lot for me to just trust that it will all work out. I suppose she could have been picking up on some of that stress. DH is also stressed out too, so that stresses me out, and now we have a vicious cycle! Hearing from more than one person that she'll be ok, and get used to it in time (texted one of my friends last night too...i think i was in panic mode, ha!) helps. My goodness, I never imagined such a tiny person would play with my emotions like she does! I should give my DH credit though....he dances with her to Frank Sinatra to get her to sleep during her nap while I'm gone