Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water!?!?

Default Re: Water!?!?

LOL! I so didn't mean to take over the post with the diet soda complaint, but thanks for the support. He's over every week, and yes, he brings his own. We don't keep it here in the house. I know he's only giving her sips, not the whole thing, but I don't want her to have any. Period. There is absolutely no benefit from it, and it's very unhealthy for her (not to mention bad on her teeth!) And I really don't like her sharing food or drinks with anyone as a lot of family members have cold sores periodically, and one cousin always has strep. It's easier to just explain no sharing food or drink to her than making a list of who to avoid and who's ok, so to speak. He knows I get pretty upset about the sharing thing so you would think he'd really avoid a double whammy of sharing and giving her soda. I hate confrontations, but I'm going to have to intervene for her sake and DD2. I try to pick my battles, but when it comes to my girls health, I have to speak up. I will say he is a great grandpa, and a great dad. I think he just hasn't take me seriously about our rules. I am sure he will eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gamom View Post
    LOL! I so didn't mean to take over the post with the diet soda complaint, but thanks for the support. He's over every week, and yes, he brings his own. We don't keep it here in the house. I know he's only giving her sips, not the whole thing, but I don't want her to have any. Period. There is absolutely no benefit from it, and it's very unhealthy for her (not to mention bad on her teeth!) And I really don't like her sharing food or drinks with anyone as a lot of family members have cold sores periodically, and one cousin always has strep. It's easier to just explain no sharing food or drink to her than making a list of who to avoid and who's ok, so to speak. He knows I get pretty upset about the sharing thing so you would think he'd really avoid a double whammy of sharing and giving her soda. I hate confrontations, but I'm going to have to intervene for her sake and DD2. I try to pick my battles, but when it comes to my girls health, I have to speak up. I will say he is a great grandpa, and a great dad. I think he just hasn't take me seriously about our rules. I am sure he will eventually.
    It doesn't matter what it is, if you don't want her to have it, she shouldn't get it. Period.

Maybe just ask your Dad not to bring it over any more / finish it before he comes in / leave it in the car. Explain that you want to avoid the meltdowns with DD. That way it's not you confronting your Dad, but parenting your child.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Maybe just ask your Dad not to bring it over any more / finish it before he comes in / leave it in the car. Explain that you want to avoid the meltdowns with DD. That way it's not you confronting your Dad, but parenting your child.
    "Dad, if it's in the house she sees it and wants it. And then I have to be the mean mommy who says 'no' and then has to cope with the whining. Let's keep the soda out of sight, out of mind. Thanks!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    It doesn't matter what it is, if you don't want her to have it, she shouldn't get it. Period.

Great idea!!!! I kind of did this the other day, but your approach is much better. Have to give that one a try!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    "Dad, if it's in the house she sees it and wants it. And then I have to be the mean mommy who says 'no' and then has to cope with the whining. Let's keep the soda out of sight, out of mind. Thanks!"
    OOOOH, I like the line of mean mommy. I know that one will get his attention!! Thank you so much!

My MIL will NEVER watch my son, and it is because of things like this. She does not understand that this is not her child, not her choice! Also always downplays all heath risks, esp smoking in the house! Now she complains to my sitter at b-day parties etc because shes "not good enough" and asks what's so great about her. I would relish the chance to let her know exactly what's not good enough about the care she provides for my step-daughter, smoking in the house, letting her cio, watching tv all day, letting her eat crap, not using her manners.....
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Honestly, I'm with you on this one. Water and an apology is one thing, but soda? Cookies? If a relative (or anybody) fed that to my kid, that would be the last time they'd see him unsupervised. You've got to be kidding me. After what I've been through with breastfeeding, I would be livid if someone did that. If they cannot respect you as a parent and cannot follow basic instructions, then they don't get to be around them. I just don't understand this idea that we hold complete strangers to a higher standard; if a stranger walked up and fed your kid some crap like that, you'd be justifiably livid, but faaaaaaaaaamily somehow it's ok? Mmmm, no. Not in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carmen.arizona View Post
    My MIL will NEVER watch my son, and it is because of things like this. She does not understand that this is not her child, not her choice! Also always downplays all heath risks, esp smoking in the house! Now she complains to my sitter at b-day parties etc because shes "not good enough" and asks what's so great about her. I would relish the chance to let her know exactly what's not good enough about the care she provides for my step-daughter, smoking in the house, letting her cio, watching tv all day, letting her eat crap, not using her manners.....

Good to know I'm not over-reacting. I have failed to mention that DD1 is three now and doesn't BF. However, I still insist that my dad and others respect my rules. Even if they seem silly to them, she's my child, not theirs! I have found out that one of my nephews on hubby's side has never drank coca cola!! He's nine. For some reason my MIL is determined that he get to try it. I think she thinks his parents are being unreasonable about it. Thankfully, he's one smart little dude, and he refuses it! LOL! I don't know why some people are so bent on putting soda in our kids. It is a bit of a double standard that my BIL and SIL let him live off McDonalds, but hey, he's THEIR child so others need to back off trying to give him stuff his parents don't want him to have. Why my MIL respects my rules about my kids and not the others is beyond me. Maybe cause I explain WHY I want certain rules enforced? And she gets the reasons?

Personally, I don't bother with explaining too much. I find the more I explain, the more they think I'm open to discussing it and changing my mind. It's obvious why you wouldn't want them to take soda, candy, etc. They're just being stubborn butt heads.

They think it's funny. They want to be "first". "I remember when I gave you your first taste of ______." However it's not up to them. I simply got to the point where I refused to leave my little ones alone with certain people when there was food things around I didn't approve of. It was just easier. If there was an opportunity to fail, I removed them from the situation.

One thing that seems to have calmed their attempts has been to tell them when LOs are trying something new in their presence. "This will be her first taste of ______." or "It's a special occasion so she'll be trying ______ today." That way they get to participate, but under your direct supervision.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Oh no, not overreacting at all. Not in my opinion at least.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gamom View Post
    Good to know I'm not over-reacting. I have failed to mention that DD1 is three now and doesn't BF. However, I still insist that my dad and others respect my rules. Even if they seem silly to them, she's my child, not theirs! I have found out that one of my nephews on hubby's side has never drank coca cola!! He's nine. For some reason my MIL is determined that he get to try it. I think she thinks his parents are being unreasonable about it. Thankfully, he's one smart little dude, and he refuses it! LOL! I don't know why some people are so bent on putting soda in our kids. It is a bit of a double standard that my BIL and SIL let him live off McDonalds, but hey, he's THEIR child so others need to back off trying to give him stuff his parents don't want him to have. Why my MIL respects my rules about my kids and not the others is beyond me. Maybe cause I explain WHY I want certain rules enforced? And she gets the reasons?