Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water!?!?

Default Re: Water!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*punky View Post
    Oh yeah, they also thought it was appropriate to give him a COOKIE for his first solid food at about 6 months old, when I left the room to go to the bathroom.
    This drives me nuts. If they waited until you were out of the room, they KNEW it was wrong.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I know. Ridiculous.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Oh, I feel you only it's not my MIL. It's my sister, BIL and my DAD! I realize that my sister and BIL have no children so sometimes they don't know what is age appropriate food for my children. However, when the are SNEAKING stuff to my oldest DD, I know on some level, they know I would not approve. For some reason, my sister takes great delight in contradicting me with the food issues. It was only after DD1 got choked twice that they quit giving her anything. It really upsets me that they would go against my wishes (even if they thought they were ridiculous, they should understand that my husband and I were doing what we thought was best!) I think they have finally learned their lessons, but I am worried it will start again with our newest DD, and she has possibly food allergies. So I will have to sit down and have a major talk with them about it. I guess what really, really angers me is that my dad, who is usually one of my biggest supporters, is going against me now. I do NOT like my oldest daughter to have soda very often. Some here and there is all right, but I especially don't want her drinking anything diet! She will ask him for some, and he'll ask me if it's ok. I have told him repeatedly, no I would rather her not have it. Then I offer her some juice, water or milk. Well, I found out recently he's been sneaking DIET MOUNTAIN DEW (loaded with caffeine) to her. He even told my mom not to tell me! I feel so disrespected, and would love to confront him about it, but I don't want to rat out my mom, as he told her not to tell me. She felt like I should know, so I've told her I won't say anything but watch him closely and hopefully have the chance to call him out. What is it that everyone thinks they have more sense than us as parents?? Anyway, just wanted you to know this is a pretty common problem, and I agree with PP above, just go prepared with extra. Also, explain to her that since he is a growing child, while water would "tide him over" until you could nurse, it's not as nutritional for him as your BM and that you really want to limit what he receives. Especially, as he can fill up on the water and then not nurse.

speaking from years of experience with in-laws I want to caution you. Not that you have to agree or anything, but I'll throw it out there anyway

There will ALWAYS be in-law conflicts. Pick your battles. Save those arguments for the stuff that really matter as it will likely get worse Personally, water doesn't register high on my list. Sugar and processed foods do. It's different for everyone and we all have our lines. I encourage you to think about where you want your lines to be and then be firm in them, knowing that in every relationship there is give and take. It's YOUR baby and therefore YOUR decision. Bottom line. HOWEVER, choosing your lines at a place where you REALLY need them drawn is probably a good idea. And may encourage a good relationship with your family
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Well, my husband did talk to her and she apologized, not realizing she did anything wrong. I appreciate that, but will be more clear in the future about our wishes for him. I agree with PP and others and will try to pick my battles. Hopefully she will be more supportive or at least more respectful of how we are doing things. This is grandchild #6 for her and the 1st one to be BF for so long. We'll see! Thanks for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*GAmom View Post
    Well, I found out recently he's been sneaking DIET MOUNTAIN DEW (loaded with caffeine) to her. He even told my mom not to tell me! I feel so disrespected, and would love to confront him about it, but I don't want to rat out my mom, as he told her not to tell me. She felt like I should know, so I've told her I won't say anything but watch him closely and hopefully have the chance to call him out.
    Just a thought but instead of waiting to "catch him in the act", why not just take DD with you? If he asks, or if he has something you know he likes to sneak to them, just don't leave your babes unattended with him. If you have to leave the room, just say "Come with Mommy ________ ". It avoids your kids getting something you don't want them to have and basically disarms your Dad without a confrontation.

This has worked for me and allows me to fight battles behind the scenes rather than an all-out war.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Just a thought but instead of waiting to "catch him in the act", why not just take DD with you? If he asks, or if he has something you know he likes to sneak to them, just don't leave your babes unattended with him. If you have to leave the room, just say "Come with Mommy ________ ". It avoids your kids getting something you don't want them to have and basically disarms your Dad without a confrontation.

This has worked for me and allows me to fight battles behind the scenes rather than an all-out war.
    Wish it were that simple. He's doing it when I step out of the room at my house!! Sigh. I would hate to ask her to follow me out of the room every time, but it is a good suggestion!! Maybe I can say something like, "can you move your drink up higher so she doesn't see it and ask for it? That way you don't have to keep explaining why she's not allowed to have it." You know, kind of remind him without jumping his case????

yall sound way more calm than me about the diet soda. I think I would have a fit about the caffiene and junk in it in front of him, and everytime I saw him with said beverage I'd probably bring it up how he was drugging my kid... like to the point where they wouldn't dare give her anything again, and have fodder for days about what a nut I was. but that's just me, maybe I burn too many bridges
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

If it makes feel any better, my mom used to give my son formula. I would be FURIOUS !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gamom View Post
    Wish it were that simple. He's doing it when I step out of the room at my house!! Sigh. I would hate to ask her to follow me out of the room every time, but it is a good suggestion!! Maybe I can say something like, "can you move your drink up higher so she doesn't see it and ask for it? That way you don't have to keep explaining why she's not allowed to have it." You know, kind of remind him without jumping his case????
    Does he visit that often? If it's only every once in a while, and then only when he has crap with him (assuming that he brings it with him), then her following you out of the room really wouldn't happen that often.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and