Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Mom with Many Questions

Unhappy First Time Mom with Many Questions

Hello,
    My LO is 3 weeks old. I am new to being a mom and new to BFing. In the hospital, she was latching on great and sucking on each side for about 30 min each! We were in the hospital for 4 days and by the last day, she would suckle for 45-90 min on each side! She has been steadily gaining weight. He BM is still yellowish, sometimes green. The night we came home, I believe my milk came in suddenly. I was so engorged that she could not latch. We were both crying. I called the hospital and they told me to pump. So I have been pumping since. She took a bottle that night. We have been breast and bottle feeding since. She is doing well with both. We had to start bottle feeding because, I am going back to work soon. I work 24 hour shift with EMS and my husband will have to feed her along with sitters. The first week or 2, I was getting about 10-15oz with every pumping. I was still nursing her about once a day. This past week, I am only getting maybe 6oz total with each pumping. That is total with both breast. I am not sure why my production has gone down.
    Also, she is only 3 weeks old and eating 4 oz at a time about every 3 hours. Is this normal?

She has started to become very fussy. We are doing Mylicone drops and gripe water with her feedings. She is still very fussy and will sound as though she is straining very hard to have a BM sometimes. She will do this for an hour or 2! This is heart breaking for me. I have cut out all cheese and trying to eat an apple a day. Also, trying to eat salads!

With my pregnancy, I had ALOT of weight gain. I started out weighing 136 and ended with 206! I weighed more after having her than I did before I had her. I had a very complicated pregnancy and 31 hours of labor with a natural birth. So, I am trying to eat healthy with the goal of loosing some weight. I have lost about 35lbs so far, but all fluid. The Dr had me on Lasix and BP meds! I am only on BP meds now.

I am mainly concerned with why my production has decreased. I have been trying to massage prior to pumping and I have increased the number of times I pump as well as nurse.

Also, with her being so fussy, she has her days and nights confused. I am also trying to work on that. I get up with her during the week for now due to my husband working M-F 8-5 with his own business and he takes Fri and Sat nights for me. The Dr gave me Ambien for those nights.

I know this is alot, I am just lost and confused. I had discussed stopping BFing with my husband, but he is against it. I am concerned about how it will all work out when I return to work. I work 24 hour shifts as a Paramedic with EMS. WE tend to stay quite busy, so I am worried about the discomfort and frequency of pumping while at work. Plus, I work with alot of males, and if the tones go off while I am pumping, I have to drop and go.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Re: First Time Mom with Many Questions

I am a first time mom too- so I don't have a lot of answers for you, but wanted to say not to give up! I almost did at about 3 weeks and am SOOOO happy I didn't. I know that much more knowledgeable moms will be on here soon to answer your questions, but I just wanted to say welcome and don't give up!!

I don't have too much experience with pumping but it sounds like you had an oversupply and now what you are pumping is more standard. How often are you pumping?
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

Thanks everyone! I am pumping about 5 times a day and nursing about 3 times a day!

How long are you pumping? What kind of pump?

4 oz is kind of a lot of milk. My 9 month old drinks that much per feeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I say just listen to her cues. At this stage, I was literally sitting at my computer desk ALL DAY LONG just feeding my little guy. Everytime he pulled off, he would cry until I let him have it again. Yes this happened for a couple of months... I know you don't have that time but just to set the stage.

Maybe she just misses her momma and breastfeed her whenever she wants to while you're at home. My son and I co-slept for a long time until I realized he and I couldn't sleep beside one another when he grew older (about 6-9 months?) and more squirmy. So try that? Or nurse lying down to get some rest but also have her feel that mom's close and that bonding time.

I'm a first time mom too but my son's almost 15 months and it's been one heck of a ride!!! Moms are tough and we find ways to make things work!!! Good luck!!!
    Story of my life: > >

Hey! I'm a wife and a first-time mother of a darling baby boy

So I mine 3 week girl is eating as much as a 9 month old, what do we do?

Some more knowledgeable people will surely chime in, but from what I understand your LO's consumption seems okay. BF babies consume 1-1.5 oz per hour, so 4 oz every three hours is in that range. Also, because your breastmilk changes to suit your LO, BF babies eat about the same amount at 9 months as they do at 1 month. Whereas formula fed babies eat more as they get older.

Your pumping production has most likely adjusted to how much your lo is taking in. Ime both if my kids started to he more aware of things and be a little more fussy around three weeks. With my first i remember pushing myself to go another week so that i could say i breastfed for a month and not just three weeks. Once i made it four weeks, i talked myself into continuing until i went back to work at 6 weeks. By 6 weeks i did not want to leave my lo to go back to work and told myself that breastfeeding was the one thing that no one could take from me and my lo. I also had a dh who wouldn't let me give up. You are very fortunate to have the support of your dh.

You may find that your coworkers are supportive and accomodating of your pumping. I worked in a female dominated office building and found the men to be a lot more supportive of my pumping than the women.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.