Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump time

Default Pump time

When is a good time to pump.... Between feeds, right after I nurse? With my son I pumped a lot, almost exclusively so this time around I am putting my LO to the breast much more. She nurses every 2-2.5 hours during the day.... Any suggestions would be welcome and greatly appreciated!!!
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

Default Re: Pump time

why are you pumping?

I am pumping to allow my self some time away... My husbands birthday, our anniversary and a reunion. Then eventuallyback to work. Just time for dinner and a movie.... But once back to work.... I will be 12 hrs a day.
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

from your signature it looks like your lo is only two weeks old, congratulations. since she is so young i would recommend avoiding pumping until she is a little older and your milk production and nursing relationship is more established.

i did not start pumping until 8 weeks to begin my freezer stash for work (went back at 12 wks). i then only pumped once a day, right after our first nursing session in the morning.

I've been thinking about this lately since I'll be having my second soon and I want to say that with my first I started pumping at 5 or 6 weeks (went back to work at 8) and I pumped in the middle of the night since DD was really just nursing on one side and I'd just pump the other. I think I kept pumping like that for a long time even after I went to work (she was still eating, so I was up).

It really helped me stress less about work pumping knowing I had that extra bit of stash.

So I think you do have a bit of time before you have to worry about pumping.
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

I started pumping at about 5 weeks. I pump after the first morning feed and that's it for the day. I put what I get into a bag in the fridge and freeze the bag when I get 4 oz. This is all on advice from the wonderful ladies here on the forum. I usually get 2 oz at each pumping session. I am doing this for a supply for work. We haven't actually used any of the milk I have pumped yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Hello!
    I started pumping at around 5 weeks, for the reason for getting a good supply of milk ready for when I return to work. I usually bump after the morning feeding and I usually get a total of 4 to 5oz, and than I'll pump in the evening and get another 4 to 5 oz. We have used some of the milk to allow my husband to feed our DS, also to introduce him to the bottle so there aren't any problems when he goes to daycare.
    I know I have asked the same question myself, but I've just found what works for me.