Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing off and on

Default nursing off and on

On certain days my LO seems like he would nurse off and on forever. I'll nurse him on the pillow we use, then he falls asleep, then he wakes up and nurses some more.
    I love the time with him but I'm hoping this is alright as far as my milk supply and as
    far as him getting enough to eat. Sometimes when he does this he doesn't suck very hard. Other times he does eat on a more regular 2 hour schedule. Does anyone else have a baby that does this?

Default Re: nursing off and on

That sounds like my son He did that quite frequently for the first few weeks. I just made sure to keep track of his wet diapers so I could tell if he was getting enough. Now that he is 8 weeks old he seems to be a little more predictable. But you know how that goes....everything can change!
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

Default Re: nursing off and on

It is very normal You LO is comfort sucking when he is not sucking very hard. He is using you as a pacifier! A lot of babies do this. They get the need to suck on something even when they are not hungry- that is why he is not sucking very hard. When he is sucking a little stronger and swallowing that is when he is actively feeding. As long as he is getting enough wet diapers a day and is gaining weight at his dr appointments then he is getting enough milk.
    July 27 2011