Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has anyone had serratia marcescens?

Default Has anyone had serratia marcescens?

The bacteria causes pink breast milk. What type of medicine did a doctor give you to cure it?

Thanks!

Default Re: Has anyone had serratia marcescens?

Wow, we had a mama here a long, long time ago who must have had this. IIRC, she found that her baby's spit-up would turn pink after it had sat a while. Or maybe it was the baby's diapers? Like I said, it was a long time ago. Not a common issue, I think!

Is the bacteria making you sick or the baby sick?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Not a common problem. A quick gallop through my microbiology texts was not terribly helpful. This bacteria is resistant to most common antibiotics.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/228495-medication has some info on meds. Call Infant Risk and ask if whatever your doc wants you to take is compatible with continuing to nurse. Some if the suggested meds are not and would require pumping and dumping. I would do that,as this is a type of mastitis (even if it isn't causing you a problem) instead of weaning because of drugs.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan, if it's not making her or the baby sick, is treatment necessary? I mean, I'm wondering for my own edification if this is something that can either make you sick, or can colonize you more or less harmlessly, like GBS in a healthy adult.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

It sounds like it COULD make you sick. Like there have been deaths related to it, apparently. Yes, it is ubiquitous in the environment, but so is staph.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

In a weird twist of fate, I just got home from a CE lecture where they mentioned this bacteria. I personally would go to war with this one and take antibiotics as prescribed and pump and dump. This is considered a pretty serious nosocomial infection these days.
    Susan

Thanks for the info! Very interesting. I mean, you hear all about staph and strep and E. coli and listeria and even campylobacter and legionella, but this is a totally new organism to me. Weird thing is, I know I've seen it- I've seen the pink goo growing in moist areas in the bathroom- but I never thought twice about what it was.