Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fists in mouths at 8 weeks

Default Fists in mouths at 8 weeks

My DD has been putting her fists in her mouth the last few days. My gut tells me it's not hunger, but it's distracting to me and I'm sure will be to the guests who attend my sister's baby shower tomorrow and comment on how she's hungry.

I've heard that with teething, the itching can start weeks before. Maybe that's it?

Default Re: Fists in mouths at 8 weeks

Sometimes babies LIKE to comfort suck on their fists as a precursor to thumb sucking. Tell anyone who hassles you that she just ate.

If you have a sling, just tuck her in it. She will probably sleep through the whole thing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

"Actually, she seems to stick her fists in her mouth when she is content. Normally when she is hungry she roots/cries/does a tap dance. Isn't it funny how babies can be so different?"

If you want to make the grandma types happy, suggest that you think she might be teething and ask, "what do you think?" and then they will happily tell you teething stories, thus distracting them from the original hunger comment.

(Horrible run-on sentence. Oops.)
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    "Actually, she seems to stick her fists in her mouth when she is content. Normally when she is hungry she roots/cries/does a tap dance. Isn't it funny how babies can be so different?"

If you want to make the grandma types happy, suggest that you think she might be teething and ask, "what do you think?" and then they will happily tell you teething stories, thus distracting them from the original hunger comment.
    Love. This. Especially the bit about asking the grandma types what their experience was. It's a great distraction technique, and can yield some terrific (if disquieting) stories. "Well, the doctor told me that babies suck on their hands when they've been exposed to Communism, and he prescribed a weekly dosage of Billy Graham sermons and mustard plasters. Worked like a charm!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I worried about the same thing! Especially with the critical MIL. My DS had hands in mouth constantly since very young. But now that he's almost 5 months and definitely teething, I don't have to explain it away- he is obviously teething.

In addition to comfort sucking, just sounds like your LO discovered her hands. My DD2 started doing that about the same age, too, and I knew she wasn't hungry either. Great advice from PP! Wish I had thought of those distractions. Now I can put those into practice! LOL