Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: normal or something wrong?

Default normal or something wrong?

My DS (8 months) has recently started to have problems with going to sleep without having my breast in his mouth. For months now, I have been able to put him in bed sleepy, but not asleep (and sometimes even seemingly pretty awake) and he would put himself to sleep and now even for naps, he has to "comfort nurse" to sleep. If I put him into his bed, or try to take him off the breast before he is all the way asleep, he gets very upset and if I am still holding him, tries everything he can to get my breast back. I thought maybe it was because he was in pain or something, but he doesn't seem to be when he is awake. IS this normal, or is there something wrong? And if there is something wrong, what can I do about it?
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: normal or something wrong?

Normal. Annoying. But normal. My fourth eats from a cleft feeder and he uses it like a pacifier.

This won't last.

I used to lay down with my nursling, nurse to sleep, use a pull-off method and roll away. Then check in on baby to try to catch him waking up and either nurse him back down or pick him up when he woke.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Sounds like possible teething? Maybe his gums are sore and he needs that comfort to work through it. Maybe try giving some ibuprofen 30 min before bedtime?
    Normal though.
    Or maybe just seperation anxiety beginning?

I am jealous your kiddo will fall asleep without nursing. I do not get that luxury : )
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

My DS is also 8mo and nurses to sleep, only 3 times has he fell asleep w/o BFing (on DH) but woke up only min later to BF. I think it depends on baby, my #1 & #4 (both DD) I could put down sleepy and they got themselves to sleep but my DS's never
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Thank you. I guess I was hoping it wasn't normal so I could do something about it . It sounds like lots of people have that problem. I am used to having to nurse him to sleep in the middle of the night, but he has been good about falling asleep on his own for naps and bedtime. I guess I was just too lucky. DH says that babies change all the time and that there isn't anything wrong, this is just his new change.
    He just got two teeth in this past week. Do they still hurt after they are through? He got a stuffed up nose just before his teeth poked through and still has it, along with a cough he has had since his first cold at the beginning of last month (but the cough is only periodic).
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11