Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding on one side....broken big drink?

Question Feeding on one side....broken big drink?

So my daughter named my breasts big drink lol! When she could talk she would ask for big drink

My right breast has a little bump on the bottom of the nipple which made it really uncomfortable for my little one to drink from. My LC said it would be okay if I fed him from the other side and just pumped the painful one to maintain some supply. Well.....I didn't keep up with the pumping and didn't have my son drink from that side very often. Now that breast is considerably smaller. What can I do? It looks really funny! Also, do you think he is getting enough nutrition from using only one side? Today I've been a little worried because he is sleeping ALOT! He is alert when he is awake but that's not often. However, I could be worried becasue my daughter never slept and that's what I am used to. He is 8 week old.

Also, my daughter refused to nurse from the side with the bump once she could talk. She told me it was broken.

Thanks so much for reading and for your advice/ideas!
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

Default Re: Feeding on one side....broken big dr

You are going to have to pump or nurse the smaller side to increase supply on that side if you don't care for the lopsided look.

But, yes, it is totally possible to feed a child with just one breast. Moms with twins feed on baby per breast. Moms who had one breast removed can nurse with the other. I had two limpectomies on my right side, and until I had to EP, I had no idea that that breast makes only 6-8 oz in 24 hours, while the other side can make an incredible amount of milk (at one point, I was pumping 50-70 oz a day combined!). So.. You can do this.

What has anyone said this lump is?

You could try some alternate positions to keep baby's mouth away from the lump.

My second baby was so different from the first that I thought something was wrong with him
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Feeding on one side....broken big dr

Thanks for replying! My LC thought it was an irritation and my OB didn't seem worried about it when he examined me for possible mastitis....it's actually less sensitive now so I'm trying to have LO use that side more often. I wonder if I should be worried about it????? Maybe get another DR to look at it???? I didn't have it when I first started nursing..it developed when my daughter was one or so.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    You are going to have to pump or nurse the smaller side to increase supply on that side if you don't care for the lopsided look.

But, yes, it is totally possible to feed a child with just one breast. Moms with twins feed on baby per breast. Moms who had one breast removed can nurse with the other. I had two limpectomies on my right side, and until I had to EP, I had no idea that that breast makes only 6-8 oz in 24 hours, while the other side can make an incredible amount of milk (at one point, I was pumping 50-70 oz a day combined!). So.. You can do this.

What has anyone said this lump is?

You could try some alternate positions to keep baby's mouth away from the lump.

My second baby was so different from the first that I thought something was wrong with him
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13