Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Itchy Scratchy!

Default Itchy Scratchy!

My breasts are sooo itchy. This has beem going on for the last few days. The nipple, areola, and skin feels like a bad rash, but the skin is clear. I could dig my nails into it though like a bad mosquito bite. Both breasts are this way too. Any ideas?

My baby is 5.5 weeks and they havent increased in size or anything either.

Default Re: Itchy Scratchy!

Thrush.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Crap, really?! I have been trying so hard to avoid it. I take a probiotic everyday, and let my breasts air out. What to do now? Should I get some monistat cream to rub on the skin? I Have a diflucan pill from pregnancy too that I could take. But man, I need this to go away.

also, my baby has been pretty cranky the last few days too...do you tink it is related? I was chalking that up to a 6-week growth spurt, but maybe he is itchy too.

Call your HCP and see what they think, but it possible. Yeast is just one of those things that can happen.

Yes, your baby could have it too and would also need to be treated.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks Susan. I tried to call but they are at lunch. I am going to see if they can get us in soon though.

After looking up the symptoms, we do have some of them but certainly not all. Urgh.

IMHO IME, thrush is the great pretender. After my third, the only symptom I had was pain. Baby was fine. He was latching well, but oh boy, was I ever sore. I expect soreness for 7-10 days, but at 14 days PP, I knew I should be feeling good with nursing. I TOLD my MW and ped to treat us for thrush, as I had no other ideas, and within 24 hours, things were so much better. I was regretting even waiting that long!

A friend of mine had no symptoms other than an itch in her breasts. She needed major meds to get rid of it.
    Susan

Yeah, I am startimg to wonder if we have had it for weeks now. Maybe all the things I was doing to prevent it were just keeping it under control a bit.

Did you happen to have a recent course of antibiotics? Maybe IV abx for GBS? That can often cause yeast overgrowth (thrush).

I am that thrush seems to be the great pretender- mama and/or baby can express a lot of different symptoms even though the underlying cause is the same. A lot of health care pros don't seem to realize this- they take a look at the baby's mouth, don't see the classic white, pearly patches, and declare that there can't possibly be thrush in either mama or baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"