Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing supply, baby is 9.5 months old :(

Default Re: Losing supply, baby is 9.5 months ol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blessed-mom View Post
    although I am not for sure how much milk a 10 month old needs?
    Because every baby is different
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When my son was reverse cycling at the sitters we'd make sure and send foods that were made with breast milk and very nutrient dense foods, avocados stuff like that. Also, a lot of my boy's reverse cycling was him not liking the bottles anymore. We got him a straw cup, and then a soft tip sippy cup and he drank more at the sitters.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Thanks again for all the great info. I am now going to start fortifying his solids with butter, organic coconut oil, olive oil, etc. He doesn't let me feed him too many foods though, because he loves to self-feed finger foods. I have been giving him full fat cheeses, avacado, buttered whole wheat bread and pancakes, etc. Hopefully he will begin to gain a little better. He has started to drink milk from his sippy, so I am a little optimistic there. I do wish he would nurse better, as I am exhausted from having to pump to get a let down and chase him down every, single, time we nurse. The only times I do not have to do this is at bedtime and during the night. I've tried dark rooms, no distractions, it does not matter. He still will not nurse through a feeding session. This has been going on for months now. I am soooo tired and stressed over this little nursling. I spoke with a different lactation consultant who thinks he is trying to self-wean. I am beginning to wonder myself? I guess we will keep chugging along! Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Blessed-mom View Post
    Thanks again for all the great info. I am now going to start fortifying his solids with butter, organic coconut oil, olive oil, etc. He doesn't let me feed him too many foods though, because he loves to self-feed finger foods. I have been giving him full fat cheeses, avacado, buttered whole wheat bread and pancakes, etc. Hopefully he will begin to gain a little better. He has started to drink milk from his sippy, so I am a little optimistic there. I do wish he would nurse better, as I am exhausted from having to pump to get a let down and chase him down every, single, time we nurse. The only times I do not have to do this is at bedtime and during the night. I've tried dark rooms, no distractions, it does not matter. He still will not nurse through a feeding session. This has been going on for months now. I am soooo tired and stressed over this little nursling. I spoke with a different lactation consultant who thinks he is trying to self-wean. I am beginning to wonder myself? I guess we will keep chugging along! Thanks everyone!
    Honestly, at 9.5 months I doubt he is trying to self-wean. However, if you were to stop offering he probably would wean. From what I understand it's fairly typical for their interest to wane a bit at this age because they are exploring their environments. It often really comes back around 12 months. If you keep nursing him during the night it should keep your supply up.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein