Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing supply, baby is 9.5 months old :(

Default Losing supply, baby is 9.5 months old :(

Hi girls, just a quick question...does anyone know how to increase milk supply when baby is a VERY busy 9.5 month old? My pedi and lactation consultant said baby should still be nursing 8-10 times per day and taking in at bare minumum 24 ounces of BM a day. I know for a fact that my baby does not get this much BM in a day. My supply at work has totally tanked and I am only pumping 2 ounces every 2 hours. This tells me that baby is only getting 24 ounces max from me if he is with me all day long. When he is at the sitters, he reverse cycles and only eats around 4 ounces in an 8 hour time period. He still nurses every 2-3 hours around the clock plus gets solids. He has only gained 1.5lbs since he was 6 months old and is not growing in length as he should. He weighs 19.5lbs and is on the skinny side, when he used to be a chunk....this is because he WILL not hardly nurse during the day either. He is soooo super busy and doesn't want to take time to nurse. I think this is why my supply has dropped as well. He will not drink well from a bottle or sippy either, so I am at a loss. Is there a way to increase my supply this late in the game? I've tried fenugreek, more milk plus, domperidone, etc. and NOTHING has worked? I am sooo sad right now, as I really wanted to make it to a year. What are your thoughts??? Thanks so much!!!

Default Re: Losing supply, baby is 9.5 months ol

From what other moms have told me on here, on average we make about 1 oz. of BM per hour. I pump about the same, 3 oz. in 3 hours. My DD was the same at that age, barely wanted to nurse, and was starting to look on the skinny side. My pedi told me it is normal for BF babies to lean out around this time. If your LO is having enough wet and dirty diapers in day you know he is getting what he needs. And if he is reverse cycling and nursing at night then that will be good to stimulate your prolactin hormones to continue to make milk. I also took fenugreek around this time to get a boost. It worked for me, but I stopped eventually because the smell it gave me was gross, and I have always taken domperidone. Try to get him to nurse at night when he is sleepy, and likley to be less distracted. Keep up the good work mama, your are nearing your goal.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Honestly, that doesn't sound bad. Babies often drop off a lot in weight gain after 6 months. 19.5 lbs for a 9.5 month old is a decent weight too. Have you ever looked at the WHO charts to see how he compares? If your doc is using the CDC chart it might look more like your baby isn't gaining enough. DS2's weight gain dropped off a lot after 6 months. His weight gain was probably about 1.5lbs from 6 to 9 months too. He is almost 2 and although I am not certain, I would doubt it if he has gained 5 lbs since he was 6 months old. I was concerned about his weight, but his pediatrician before we moved, his pediatric GI and his current doctor have been unconcerned about it. He is happy, he is meeting milestones, he does eat well. If your little guy is really active and busy, I think that is actually pretty normal for his weight to drop off.

As far as length, I don't put a lot of faith in length measurements in infants. It is really hard to measure a squirming baby and one of my sons actually LOST height between visits according to the measurements! Both of my kids jumped all over the charts for length until they were old enough to stand up for height.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

What the PPs said, especially what they said about it being normal for a baby to drop percentiles once he becomes mobile, and Samiha said about length. My girls occasionally shrunk in between length measurements, too. According to this growth chart: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html it looks like your baby is just under the 50th percentile for weight. Nothing wrong with that!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What you can pump and what baby gets out are two very different things. Some moms can't pump anything, yet have thriving babies.

Your baby weighs more than mine does!

I would just keep nursing, and definitely cosleep and night nurse. The world right now is really interesting, but eventually, the nursing increases again (unless maybe you are pregnant) as the world isn't quite so interesting. But if you stop trying, baby will forget to ask.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My son is about the same age and I just went through a period of time where my pumping at work was suffering, too. I had heard pumping becomes more difficult as you near a year and I had just assumed that was what was happening. At the same time, however, I was very busy at work and wasn't drinking enough fluids or eating my usual healthy breakfast and morning snack. When those two things were righted my pumping volumes went right back up to normal.

I know this won't help your distracted nursing situation, but take a good hard look at what might have changed in your food/drink lately and it might help with your pumping.

Also, my pumping volumes go down when I am stressed or sick, so, even though you are worried about your LO, try to relax when pumping. I play a game on my blackberry so I can turn my mind off from work.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thank you so much for all the encouragement and kind words!! It is just so hard listening to people asking me if my baby has lost weight, and make comments like, "I can't tell he has grown at all lately". It makes me feel awful. I can definitely tell he has slimmed up a lot as well. I just don't understand why my supply has dropped so drastically over the past two months (although I also had a clog in my over-producer and supply on that side has NEVER came back up, despite tons of pumping after feeds,etc). I just hope it doesn't decrease more or we will be in trouble. I am at bare minimum now I guess, although I am not for sure how much milk a 10 month old needs? Thanks again everyone

what sorts of solids are you giving maybe tweaking them with good fats would help?

Hmm, you have me worried now! My little man only nurses 4 times a day, is that not enough?! He also has one 4oz bottle of EBM. He is just under the 25th percentile but has followed that line quite steadily x