Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this the 6 month growth spurt?

Default Is this the 6 month growth spurt?

Or something else...

My little guy is about a week shy of six months. He has always been a happy little baby and a good sleeper. Wakes up 2-3 times to eat but eats calmly and goes right back down with little problems.

Last night he woke maybe 6-8 times, I lost track, and when he was eating he was SUPER fussy. Squirming, kicking me, popping on and off, blowing raspberries on my nipple, etc. He has been the same way all day today, and really fussy if we're not holding him. Sometimes it seems like he is in pain, and I think maybe he is teething. Other times it just seems like he wants to constantly be on me and the boob.

I also had a pretty major reduction in pumping output today. Usually do about 14oz, today I didn't even get 9oz. My husband just went to get him Tylenol but is really concerned about giving it to him if he doesn't actually have teething pain... I said it would be fine, but just wanted to double check that, too.

Any ideas? Thanks... sleepy mama here.

Default Re: Is this the 6 month growth spurt?

Could be teeth. Could be LO has a little sore throat. Ear infections can also make them crabby about nursing. Or it could just be nothing, one of those things, and be related to developmental stages.

And yes, I use Tylenol (actually, Advil works better for teething pain IME) if I think it could be teeth. Even if I'm not sure. My third kid was so upset by teething that he got meds at bedtime every night for probably 4 months. It was that or not get any sleep, as with meds, he only woke 9 times a night.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My LO is now 6.5 months. She has never been a great sleeper (she STTN for about 2 weeks during month 4), but a few days before turning 6 months, she started waking 8-12 times a night. Sometimes she was fussy and wouldn't let us put her down, other times she didn't go back to sleep at all. We started getting more serious about the NCSS and these past few nights, she's only gotten up 4 times (which is great for her!)
    She was also shoving her fist in her mouth for awhile, so I also thought teething, but she's stopped doing that, and there are still no teeth, so I'm thinking you may be going through the same thing we just went through. So, I doubt the Tylenol is necessary, but it could be teething for you- just wasn't for us.
    Good luck!
    Mother to Quenby Anne, born 29 March 2011, 5 lbs. 9 oz, but doubled birth weight in 9 weeks!

Interested in maternal attachment and research about infant development? Check out my blog! www.asecurebase.blogspot.com

Thanks for the input ladies! My husband went to get tylenol and was not able to! They said they weren't selling it anymore (at walmart) ?? Weird... anyway. He slept better last night and is actually napping today which is an improvement. Maybe it was just a fluke. I guess I am just FEARING the growth spurt and teething!!