Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often??

Default How often??

How often should my 1 month old nurse? She was nursing every 2-3 hours now it is more like3-4. She sleeps longer periods at night... Which I am not complaining about! She was wetting about 10 diapers a day now it is less but still a good amount probably 6 wets since lastnigh and it is 5 :30 pm here. Just worried!!
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

Default Re: How often??

As long as she is still producing adequate wet and poopy diapers in a 24 hour period and seems healthy, it's okay to follow her lead even if that means she nurses less than the 8-10 times/day standard. Most babies cannot routinely go 3-4 hours between nursing sessions, but a few can.

What would happen if you offered the breast every 2-3 hours during the day? You might have a rather undemanding, mellow baby, and if so you might want to prompt her to eat a little more frequently.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have a 3 week old that feeds every 2-3 hours. As long as she seems content and having adequate diapers, I would think you are ok. Just keep an eye on her skin color and the color of her gums. If she starts to get pale, then you should worry about dehydration. First sign will be the diapers though!

Like PP's said as long the wet diapers are good then it is okay. You can offer the breast more during the day if you want to. DS was like that for a while to but then he changed. In fact, he is still changing day to day. One day he will go 5 hours with out eating and the next day he wants to eat every 2 hours. I think you will notice that too especially when she gets her growth spurts.

No worries mama! Keep up the good work!
    July 27 2011

I was nursing every 2 hours sometimes I would go 3 but I wouldnwake her up... Change her... Strip her to her diaper.... She would nurse for 5 mins and fall a sleep. I didn't mind keeping her on but I am also chasing a 2 year old!!! I think she just
    Wasn't hungry!!! Thanks ladies, i know all babies are different but I thought mine would be more alike. Totally different when it comes to nursing
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!