Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: no poo?

Default no poo?

My LO is 7 weeks old and hasn't had any poo in the last 2 days. Before this, he was consistently going several times a day. I know this can happen in breastfed babies at a certain point. Is 7 weeks a normal age for this to happen or should I call the
    pediatrician? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: no poo?

according to my research, totally normal:

It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby.
    After the baby is about six weeks old, he may wet only five to six cloth diapers per day, but if so these diapers will be much wetter. As the baby's bladder grows, he can produce and hold more urine at a time. To judge wetness of a diaper for an older baby, pour 8 tablespoons (120 ml) onto a dry diaper. That would be considered a normally wet diaper.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Thanks! That was good info you found. I'll just keep waiting and see how it goes. Thanks again.

my little guy goes about 1x a week...He's 10 weeks. When he goes, he goes a lot.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby