Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing through the night

Default Nursing through the night

My son is 10 months old and is still waking every hour throughout the night to nurse. Although he is getting milk sometimes when he nurses, I believe his need for nursing is more of a sleeping method. I am desperate for help on how to help him sleep through the night without being on the breast. I cannot do the cry it out method. Right now his crib is in the room with us and we cannot move it to another room so that makes it harder because he knows I am there. He does not take a bottle, never has. I need sleep and so does he so any suggestions would be great. I'm not really ready to wean him yet, but less night feedings would be awesome!!

Default Re: Nursing through the night

I had a baby who did that. After some months or just letting him -- as I saw it as a real need on his part, for whatever reason -- I was totally wiped out. So DH started getting up and taking him for a couple hours in the early morning hours. Yes, it was rough at first, as baby wanted me, not daddy. But just getting some sleeping alone time (we totally cosleep, which could be something to consider, so you don't have to get out of bed) helped me be able to deal with him waking so often. And then, suddenly, he started dropping night nursings. Part of this is an age and stage, in that some kids really need more mommy, but it comes at a cost to mom.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

our dd is 14 weeks, and would not sleep a SINGLE WINK without being on me or at a push DH. I do love that but after 11wks I was exhausted so we spent the weekend of her 11th week making a hammock. we basically looked at lots of designs, but made one based on the idea of the 'happy hangup'. The key is a really springy spring! the first time we put her in it hanging from the tree in the garden she looked at me, smiled and instantly fell asleep. 20 mins later she woke - after I had done laps of the garden waving my arms in the air with glee for us both. DOn't get me wrong, she is carried all day and co-sleeps at night, but recently she has fallen asleep on the boob, then been placed in the hammock for up to 4 hours of sleep in the evening. It is good for us both to get some proper sleep in - as we both wake each other up all night! DH often needs to do mechanics in the evening, so can't always carry her, so it works out brilliantly. if she stirs, the movement of the hammock seems to send her back to sleep! the hammock is basically a big spring, 3 meters of muslin/calico strung between the ends of a 2.5 foot bit of wood, with a sturdy cot mattress in the base. I am planning on prettying it up a bit with some flags and a name plate. (for those worried about safety - She is not left alone in it, and it is not much different from the cot, the material at the sides being totally breathable, with a cot mattress as the base. she also wears a breathing monitor.) the 'happy hangup' says it can be used for up to 25kg, just hang it close to the ground in case a toddler wants to get out. it's been our answer to a bit of time out in a house where extra carers are not around. when it's time for her to sleep on her own, the hammock will be hung by our bed then moved to her room. we currently have a hook in every room in the house and DH is making a stand so that we can take DD if we go to friends for evening meal. good luck!

My DD was a little like this. We started using the No Cry Sleep Solution suggestions- husband puts her down sometimes (it was a lot of work for the poor guy at first, but it got easier!) and then I just had to work to make sure that as soon as she stopped sucking and was pretty much asleep, I would pop her off the nipple, sometimes she fusses and I put her back on. But, I go for a shock and awe approach of immediately hoisting her to my shoulder and bouncing her. It's taken about a week, but now she likes going to sleep like that and is sleeping a little bit better at night- and sometimes goes to sleep without me nursing her at all!
    Mother to Quenby Anne, born 29 March 2011, 5 lbs. 9 oz, but doubled birth weight in 9 weeks!

Interested in maternal attachment and research about infant development? Check out my blog! www.asecurebase.blogspot.com