Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it too late to start pumping again?

Default Is it too late to start pumping again?

Hello- I am currently BF my 5 month old with the R breast only. She supplements about twice a day and nurses morning 2-3 times during the day and throughout the night. My left breast seems to have dried out (which I originally didn't mind) a few weeks ago. I didn't think much about it since she seemed to be weaning herself off the breast, but now I am regretting not being more insistant in having her take the left breast. Is there anything I can do to bring the milk supply back to the that breast or is too late to bring milk back to a drying out side?
    Thanks

Default Re: Is it too late to start pumping agai

Put baby to that side. Pump that side every 2-3 hours.

It would be highly unusual for a 5 month old to wean.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Is it too late to start pumping agai

with the PP. It is never too late to increase milk supply on one side or on both sides. Just pump more and nurse more and it will come back- though how long it takes for you to feel like you have a good supply on that side is a very individual thing, and depends on your body and how it responds to the regimen of increased stimulation and milk removal.

Is there anything else going on with nursing that we can help you with?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"