Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Treating thrush for 4th time

Default Treating thrush for 4th time

My 9 week old and I have had thrush 4 times already. I cannot seem to get it to go away for good, though we've been prescribed medicine twice and I tried to cure it with gentian violet the last time. It goes away for a week or two and then comes back.

Tonight I bought a bottle of acidophilus (because I have not tried that yet in combination with all the other suggestions), but it says to not use it if breastfeeding. It contains cellulose, water, silica, and then all of the good bacteria. Do all bottles of acidophilus say to not us if nursing?

Also, I have been sterilizing my bottles in a microwave sterilizer instead of boiling them, like Jack Newman suggests. Is that okay?

Thanks!

Default Re: Treating thrush for 4th time

AFAIK, all probiotics say that. They haven't been tested in nursing mothers.

The sterilizing.... I dunno. I think it's hard to tell for sure if those microwave sterilizers really do the job. So boiling might be better for now. And minimize bottles and pumping so you have less to worry about. And bear in mind any milk you pump while younhave thrush just reindeers baby. It can be a vicious cycle

I use Diflucan for all along with APNO when I and/or baby have thrush.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks, I thought that might be the case with the probiotics.

As far as the bottles, unfortunately I'm exclusively pumping right now... sort of. I've been working with a lactation consultant, because my son is not effectively latching due to tongue tie (which was fixed) and a high upper palate. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it and we'll be able to just nurse. He still wants to nurse for comfort, so he's getting practice, but his latch is still a little sloppy.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Hmm.. Then I would boil. I would not store. And if he gets any practice nursing, I would treat him too, or when you get him to the breast (there are several mothers here who have dealt with exactly that problem who successfully nursed, so you can too)' you will get it right back.

Sloppy latch can be fixed, but only if you practice

Gosh, the iPad typing leads to some very strange words popping up.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Also keep in mind that Raynaud's phenomenon of the nipple has symptoms very similar to what would otherwise appear to be a long, unresolved case of thrush.
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...13/4/e360.full
    The way I knew my Raynaud's that' was diagnosed as affecting my hands had cropped up into my nipples was I had what I thought was over a month of thrush, and then I started paying attention to when the pain hit me: it would come too when the baby wasn't nursing but when I got cold or had sudden temperature changes, as in walking into the refrigerated section of the grocery store, and when I would undress to shower. I checked in the mirror before showers and noticed the telltale mulberry-colored nipples and sometimes an alarming white tip. Do you have any of those symptoms?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html notice here a shallow latch can cause nipple blanching and vasospasm, which feels the same as Raynaud's but isn't a systemic circulation problem

HTH as food for thought
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Hmmm, I've been wondering if it might be that instead of thrush. I know my son's latch is shallow, which is why I'm pumping for nutrition and nursing him just for comfort, until his mouth grows a little more. The thing that makes me think it's thrush is my son's tongue is always white. I know the milk can coat it, but I've never seen it not covered in white. Can that be normal?

All of mine have had whitish tongues, even my fourth I always chalked it up to milk film myself.
    Susan

Saw my LC today and I don't have thrush, but I am experiencing vasospasms. That's why I've been having the stabbing pains. Guess I've been painting myself purple with gentian violet for no reason.

my son's tongue was always white until recently

glad youve figured it out

Me too I'm glad you figured it out. Your DS' mouth will grow and the mechanical reason behind a shallow latch and vasospasms wil go away too. Are you keeping yourself warm too in case you have tendency to get vasospasms due to chilliness?
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?