Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping/supply help!!

Default Pumping/supply help!!

Ok, so I went back to work about 3 weeks ago. I had a small-ish stash of milk in the freezer for when I went back and have been able to pump 2-3 times each shift (10 hours each shift) but have only gotten about 2 ounces each session (which, from what I understand, is normal). I had a rough start with pumping, but things finally started working for me. I pump 1-2 times before bed and rarely in the morning before my DD (3 months old) wakes. I know she eats more than that, as she takes about 3 ounces every 2 hours when others watch her. We have gone through all the small supply that I had and for some reason fell behind and everything I've been pumping each day has been used up same day. Obviously I'm not pumping enough to keep up with her needs and I want to avoid giving her formula at all costs (though she did have her first little bit of formula tonight, which I'm not pleased about, but there wasn't any other option.). I eat a decent diet; oatmeal for breakfast and lots of water throughout the day. I know that there are lots of foods out there that help boost supply, but is a boost of my supply really what I need? I mean, I don't want to have too much milk and end up with an OS and mastitis! Help!
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.

Default Re: Pumping/supply help!!

What type of pump are you using? A good pump can make all the difference in the world..

If you are not pumping enough at work to cover the next work day you can either try pumping more at home or pumping more at work. I pump in the car on my way to work and home from work. You can get a car adapter plug for your pump and use a hands free bra so you can still drive. (For a cheap and easy hands free bra just get a sports bra and cut slits in it to slide in the horns!) Those extra pumping sessions can make all the difference.

Try that for a few days and see if that boosts your supply. If it still doesn't then you can try to pump more temporarily at home after every feeding until your supply gets up. You might have a fine supply since pumping is not an indicator of true supply but you may have to keep pumping more to "train" your breasts to get used to the pump.

Also try doing compressions during pumping. That can yield in more milk per session.

July 27 2011

Are you pumping exclusively or nursing at home and pumping at work? I ask that because you said she took formula at night. (Maybe you work at night?)

I would definitely try to pump more than twice during 10 hours. You should try to pump once for each time you miss a feeding at least. How long are you pumping for each session? I've been EPing for 8 weeks and have found that if I pump for at least 20 minutes and do breast compressions, I empty more milk. At first the breast compressions didn't seem to help, but then I started noticing a substantial change in the amount I pumped. I know it might be more difficult for you to pump that long at work each time. I've also found that if I get in a bind and cannot pump the full 20 minutes, it helps to even throw in an extra 5 minute pumping session when I'm able.

Also, you mentioned you're pumping before bed. Is your LO sleeping through the night? I produce way more milk during the middle of the night, so if possible, you may want to fit in a pumping session during the night.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

What kind of pump do you have?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm using a Medela Pump In Style. I pump every 2-3 hours at work for a good 30 minutes each session and do compressions and still only get 2 ounces per session at best. Pumping on my way to and from work isn't an option because it's a 5 minutes drive! I try to pump more at home, but when I'm home with her I nurse her. I only pump when I'm not around her, except when she's in bed sleeping. I stay up late most nights trying to get at least a couple of pumping sessions in, but I seem to get even less at night. She sleeps through the night for the most part, but I'm pretty sure she nurses at least once at night (I don't wake up, so I don't know!).
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.

The hormones that help milk production are lower at night, higher in the wee hours of the morning so if you want to do more at home, it would be best to go ahead and go to bed at night and wake up earlier to pump before work in the morning.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~