Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to wean :-( Help!

Default Need to wean :-( Help!

Well I posted in the toddler forum last week that my 16 month old LO bit me badly & it's made nursing painful. I wanted to wait to make any change until after this
    weekend since we went away & I knew she would want lots of nursing time.
    She only nurses in the a.m., sometimes before nap, and before bed.

My left side had a scab where she bit & now it's gone. We tried to nurse that side & Iwas bleeding!! I am not sure what else to do aside from wean right now.

Appreciate any help on weaning. I am thinking that Daddy is going to offer her milk
    to replace the nursing sessions. I know she's going to be upset...I feel badly & sad
    that our nursing relationship is going to end but I cannot see how it can continue.

Default Re: Need to wean :-( Help!

Ouch! That bite sounds nasty!

But could you just nurse on the other side for a while? Or substitute cow's milk for some feedings, but not all? I guess I'm trying to understand why weaning is the only option. If you want to, fine. But if you're sad about it ... ?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with JoMo. It seems like you do have other options... And perhaps better ones. You're down to just a few feeds a day, but dropping all three feedings at once could mean you end up engorged or uncomfortable. Better to drop one feeding, wait a few days, and then drop another feeding. If you're worried about the bleeding, then you can be assured that bloody milk will not hurt your baby and while nursing on a cut can be very painful, it isn't likely to do you any permanent damage.

If you do choose to wean, go slow (drop one feeding, wait, drop another), avoid your customary nursing locations, offer lots of drinks and snakcs, and enlist distraction as much as possible. Daddy probably needs to take over bedtime duty!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank's Joe's Mom. I guess ideally I was hoping for her to decide when to stop not me. I have been nursing lots more on the right side. I am just
    concerned if I don't nurse on the left side, it's going to cause major issues (e.g., infection, supply problems).

I would also prefer gradual weaning rather than this abrupt weaning.

Thanks, Mommal.

I'll try slowly dropping the feedings rather than all at once. We'll see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    Thank's Joe's Mom. I guess ideally I was hoping for her to decide when to stop not me. I have been nursing lots more on the right side. I am just
    concerned if I don't nurse on the left side, it's going to cause major issues (e.g., infection, supply problems).

I would also prefer gradual weaning rather than this abrupt weaning.
    You can play it by ear. Since your baby is no longer a tiny baby, you may be able to get away with just hand expressing on the hurt side for a while. Sure, your supply will decrease, but when you cut heals, you can reintroduce that side and increase production if you choose. Or you can continue to taper down. Your choice.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have nursing 15 month twins and my son bit me badly. There was gushing blood. I of course could not switch side since his twin was on the other one. I was told to use some neosporin which I did twice and that worked. However I am with you, I am so ready to start cutting them back. They are still getting milk about 7-9 times a day ( I pump at work too and overnight so I am actually doing more than that.) Last night they actually went three hours in the evening without milk which was thrilling so I hope to start dropping feeds. Sometimes they only want a few minutes anyhow so I hope it will be easy to get them down to a better number.

Try using a different position so baby's teeth are not in the same place where you were bitten, and then you can nurse that side while it heals.

Ouch. Those kind of bites are bad.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've been using lanolin & it looks a lot better. I have been only nursing a little on that side & waiting for it to heal. I've been trying a different position but
    she keeps moving her mouth right over it. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    I've been using lanolin & it looks a lot better. I have been only nursing a little on that side & waiting for it to heal. I've been trying a different position but
    she keeps moving her mouth right over it. Ugh.
    Ouch! But it sounds like it is getting better, so that's really good news!

You can call me JoMo!