Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wacky nipple hijinks!

Default Wacky nipple hijinks!

So, the saga continues.

Managed to get through my most recent bout of mastitis without the usual nipple trauma and we're tentatively doing OK. I finished my last round of antibiotics and I don't know if it was those passing through my milk, the three-month growth spurt, some tooth-moving action, or perhaps a strange moon phase but Bubs is really, really fussy, gassy, and generally inconsolable for at least part of the day and night. Trying to "sleep when the baby sleeps" is damn near impossible because he barely sleeps during the day, and only with me wearing him in the Moby and walking around the room. And even then, if I stop, he wakes right back up. Oh, and the farts. The poor lad just has the loudest most painful farts. Urgh. So, there's that.

My left nipple was severely blistered over from the third bout of mastitis, and still healing through this one; a small scab of dry/dead skin has remained and slowly diminished over the last few days, leaving behind only a pit in the center of the nipple, which is white and puffy after a feed. I can pick it off, but prefer not to... So this morning, a little loose bit was dangling, and I pulled it off. Immediately, a drop of clear, yellow-ish liquid seeped out of the center of my nipple! Urgh. Is this the infection still hanging out? It was most definitely not milk; it looked more like the fluid you would get from a blister. Sorry, TMI here.

I am going to talk to my doc about it, but I was just curious if anyone else has heard of this, seen this, etc. This was right before my shower so I just tried to express a bit more and then the milk came down, but I could still see this clearish liquid (pus? ew. ew. ew.) draining. Yuck. I know its ok for him to drink but... ew.

Default Re: Wacky nipple hijinks!

It's quite possible that the fluid you saw was not pus, but rather extremely watery milk that had built up in a plugged duct behind a nipple blister. The white, puffy area with a pit in the middle- that's kind of how my most recent blister looked. (I am prone to them, particularly when my kids are teething.) I think the best way to figure out if this was milk or not is to (hold onto your socks!) taste it. If it tastes like very watery, possibly very salty milk, then I'm right and it's nothing to be overly concerned about. If not, then it could still be infection and you may need to see your doctor. Either way, the absolute best thing to do is to empty this stuff right out, since if it's pus you want to clear it out, and if it's milk you want to clear it out to prevent infection from setting in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

All right, I will do that. (My milk is normally pretty good so that's OK with me!) If Kiddo can suck it down, then what's the harm of it. I'll block feed him on this side just to be sure, and check it in the morning. I was afraid to do anything with the dry skin bit but I think I'll check it again after he nurses.

Thanks!

Try softening the skin with some lanolin or nipple butter so you can maybe roll it off versus pulling and possibly giving yourself a wound.

That sounds like a blister to me too. I get them all the time on one side, even with the pump
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Update: So far, so good. Never saw any more clear-yellow fluid drain and the white pit / dead skin nastyness is going away bit by bit. Now all I have left is to deal with Mr. Squirmypants who likes to bat and scratch me when he nurses, and the vasospasms I keep getting. *sigh* Is it bad that I am really, really looking forward to solids in 2 months, in the hopes that he'll put all of his chewing energy into the sweet potatoes and not onto me?? Seriously.