Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused

Default Confused

I am full time working mom. I used to pump 7 times a day and barely got 16-18 oz (that's how much my 11 week LO needs for daycare). However, lately I have been pumping less and getting the same amount. Today I pumped 3 times and I already have 16 oz. I plan on pumping once more for the day!!!

My question: It seems likes my supply has boosted, because I am pumping less times but getting the same results. Am I doing the wrong thing by pumping less times? If I went back to pumping 7 times a day will I be able to get more than 18 oz??

***I nurse my DS 7 times from the time I get off of work until I drop him off at daycare the next morning***

Default Re: Confused

At this age, I would suggest you pump every 2-3 hours if you can. It's hard to say if you will get more though, but it's worth a shot. How often does he nurse on the weekends (during the day)? Ideally, pumping should mimic the routine of your lo (ideally, we can't always do it this way though) so if he's nursing every 2-3 hours during the day on the weekends, then you should aim to pump that much while you're working (if you can). As your baby gets older this will become less important as your body naturally adjusts to meet the needs of your baby.

It could be that your baby is having a growth spurt and therefore demanding more milk at the breast, which has increased your supply. It makes sense that if you pump more you could keep the supply increase.

It could also be that you had a temporary dip in supply. Any signs of your cycle returning?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I did have a cycle last month

I thought all I had to do was nurse of pump 8 times within a 24 hour period. I have surpassed that quota.

to keep your cycle from returning you mean? Or to keep your supply up?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

To keep my supply up

your supply is all based on your baby's demand, so as long as you're nursing on demand when you're home and pumping when you're away there isn't really a magic number. It's recommended that for a good supply you should be nursing/pumping 8-12 times per 24 hours, which it sounds like you're doing
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Ok. Thank you!

hi mama.

just wondering how much milk your lo is drinking and how long you are away. 16-18 oz is quite a lot. breastfed babies eat 1-1.5 oz per hour away.

my dc was asking for more and i was giving more than he really needed because i was scared they were going to let him cry instead of soothing him without a bottle. they were overfeeding him and he was not himself in the evenings. once i worked out having him get the right amount things have been much better. i was able to get them to spend a little extra time rocking and snuggling with him and it has been so much better. not to mention the fact that i am not freaking out trying to pump so much milk.

something that was hard for them to grasp was that although ff babies get large volumes, bf babies dont need that. the composition of breastmilk changes over time (so cool ) to meet their needs. this means you dont need to give more as they get older.

growth spurts may require some extra milk though