Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Discouraged

Default Discouraged

So DS had his 2 month check-up today. He still hasn't cracked 10 pounds. Everything else looks good. He wets enough. He's alert and starting to smile and coo. He's grown an inch and his head circumference has increased. He even eats every 2 hours; we'd finally started to see definitive breaks between feedings! He seemed content and happy most of the time, though he's not much of a napper. In short, I thought we were doing well; but that thrice-cursed scale!!!!

Brief history:
    Birth weight: 9 lbs 1 oz
    First check up: 8 lbs 4 oz Ped says supplement. Tried, wreaked havoc on BF. Stopped
    Two week check up: 8 lbs 7 oz Ped says supplement again, every feeding this time. Tried, nearly wrecked BF. Stopped. Got new ped. Rented a pump. Pumped after every feeding to boost supply. Created F/H milk imbalance and possible OS on left side (also has an OALD). Stopped pumping.
    Follow-up at 1 month with new ped: 9 lbs 0 oz. Birthweight!! Given OK to EBF
    Today, 2 month check up: 9 lbs 13 oz Asked to supplement by new ped. (For the record, I do trust our new ped's judgement. He's not the type to intervene unless it needs to be done.)

What am I doing wrong? I'm feeling completely disheartened, discouraged, and disappointed with myself. I tried listening to my "mother's intuition" and it apparently is wrong. Now I don't trust myself. Why can I not do this? I was hoping to avoid formula this time around, but it looks like that's not going to happen. Any suggestions? Part of me is very ready to give this up as a lost cause.
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!

Default Re: Discouraged

Although your LO is smaller for his age I do not think that he is too small- especially since is he is growing in length and his head is growing too. If he has good diaper output and looks/acts like a healthy 2 month old then I would personally continue to breastfeed for all his meals. I would only offer formula AFTER he nursed and that is only because the dr's input.

I think you are doing great mama! Trust your instincts!
    July 27 2011

Any breast milk is worth the effort. Look at what I go through to provide it for my kid, and I know it is why he is so healthy!

I don't have it bookmarked, and there is a certain amount if weight they are supposed to gain a week, and your LO is just on the lowest end of that, iirc.

I would maybe supplement only after nursing. And I don't know if I would, kwim. But if you need to supplement, it is OK. It is just a supplement.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Any breast milk is worth the effort. Look at what I go through to provide it for my kid, and I know it is why he is so healthy!
    After reading posts from so many other mamas here, I realize I'm lucky that this is our only issue. I'm not sure I'd have made it this far if I'd had to deal with the issues a lot of you other ladies have. You have my respect!

Thank you for your encouragement! I apologize for the negativity. It just hit hard today, and it's hard not to feel discouraged after two months' effort. I even teared up at the ped's office; he was very sympathetic.
    Do you think it'd be worth it to try renting a pump again? I'm beginning to wonder if it's a quality issue and not a quantity one, and nothing I've read seems to indicate that I can affect the quality of my milk.

Oh, and when our doc asked me to supplement, he did say to offer it after nursing. However, I was poking around the other forums and found this http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml Any thoughts?
    Last edited by @llli*faeln; October 12th, 2011 at 08:30 PM.

I am new at this whole thing here too, and my son is three months old as well, but I wonder if your pediatrician is referencing the WHO growth charts, which were adjusted for breastfed infants, or if he is going by the other charts... Mine is getting a majority of his growth in height as well, and I checked with our pediatrician. She said as long as he is healthy, has active, alert, happy periods throughout the day, nurses at a regular pace, and has good muscle and skin tone and diaper output, then not to worry. Maybe your little guy is just growing at his own pace. From what you are telling us about his birthweight and other statistics, he's still above the 50th percentile for weight, so I am not sure why he told you to supplement... but then again, I am not a doctor and I don't play on on TV either so that's just my take on it. Mine didn't make up his birthweight for a bit beyond what they typically recommend but anyone can see he's healthy and growing. Just trust your gut and don't freak yourself out. You are doing great!

This is the PDF I was looking at, by the way.
    http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...boys_z_0_6.pdf

I have also read that you can't change the quality of your milk...but....I noticed when I drank coconut milk, I seemed to have more cream in my milk

I don't think I would pump and feed bottles. I would nurse. If the weight continues to go down, even on the BF baby chart (good idea to look at that) I would think about maybe doing double cream bottles (which would involve pumping).

I think some babies just don't gain a lot. High metabolism, something I had one who dropped quite a lot, fell off the chart, and to this day, he is scrawny. His little brother weighs more than he does! But it's normal for him.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Went to see the IBCLC today, and she expressed some concern as well. His weight is starting to flatline and the rate at which he is gaining has dropped again. Her suggestion was to use the sns instead if a bottle so there's no impact on my supply. She thinks it's a calorie issue, since DS is wetting enough and has yellow stools. Waiting on a phone call from her; she's conferring with our ped.

Thanks for the support ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*faeln View Post
    ... She thinks it's a calorie issue, since DS is wetting enough and has yellow stools. Waiting on a phone call from her; she's conferring with our ped.

Thanks for the support ladies!
    When my LO was first home from the NICU, they had me using Neosure fortifier in my EBM for supplemental feeds. This way, it was still my BM vs. straight formula but added calories. Maybe you could do that with the SNS
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

After talking with our ped and the IBCLC, we're using formula in an SNS after every other daytime feeding to try and boost DS's weight gain.
    My question is this: do I need to worry about over-feeding with the SNS, or will he regulate his feedings and stop when full? He's a comfort nurser, so I'm worried that he'll inadvertently take in extra calories when he's not hungry if the SNS isn't empty by the time he's done. Am I making any sense?

Oh, and a belated thanks to shortthumbs for the WHO link!