Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts On ecologicql breastfeeding?

Default Re: Thoughts On ecologicql breastfeeding

I nursed my son on demand for a little over 2 years, maybe 2.5, before I started setting some limits (he is still occasionally nursing at almost 4). I would say that he maintained the every 45 minutes or so timing until I began setting limits. It ended up being a really special sort of connection between us. He and I both really enjoyed knowing that it was always there to be had. I would think that if you're not looking for natural child spacing (whatever that is - since it would have been very close together for us if we'd relied on breastfeeding to delay it), then it is really essentially just nursing on demand. And I am an unreserved fan!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I think, looking back, it was still too close together. Mine are all 26 months apart. It gets really old dealing with toddlers and a newborn. However, three is a very unpleasant age too, so
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh yes. I did not practice "ecological breastfeeding" because I pumped at work and nursed on demand at home. But I loved and cherished that relationship. Joe did stop nursing as frequently around 18 months. I loved breastfeeding him before that and even more after that. One reason I would not rely on breastfeeding for birth control and wanted to space any pregnancy farther apart was because I didn't want to wean Joe too early due to a pregnancy and loss of supply.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Sarah, good to hear of another raw milk fan! i always thought that if i had to, i would supplement with raw milk formula for our LO....also good to hear that there are other mommas that are nursing frequently for such a long time. I'm surrounded by schedulers IRL (a good friend let me borrow her Babywise book while I was pregnant...i started reading it, not knowing what it was and couldn't finish it...), so it's sometimes hard to get an accurate perception of nursing on demand, and like i said, eco breastfeeding just seemed even more 'out there'. I love, love, love nursing my LO, and I actually wouldn't mind it in the least if she nursed more frequently even--gah, does that make me a weirdo?? Anyway, I may rethink the whole 'throwing caution to the wind' attitude, and maybe look at adding in some additional, erm...protection at 6 months, because I would really, really like to make it to 2 years nursing this LO as much as she wants!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

How I do this...

I nurse and I watch for mucus and other signs of fertility. When I see any changes, we act like it could be fertile and abstain (after we got one kid from a condom failure during a known fertile time). That can go on for MONTHS before I actually get an AF.

The one failure of FAM happened when I apparently ovulated extremely early in the cycle, like right when the mucus appeared. That is that 1-5% failure rate.

It is NOT throwing caution to the wind if you are sensible about it. If you just think, oh, I'm nursing, but your baby has a pacifier. Or you are pumping PT. Then you might end up pregnant again. But if you watch your body, keep track of things, and use some sense, it can work perfectly. For way longer than 6 months. It is just so individual.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've never thought of breastfeeding to be too demanding on my body..or tiring. I actually think it's a lot easier to nurse "ecologically" than to have to come up with other means of calming, soothing, etc. my baby. I have gotten more rest over the years than I am sure I would have if I didn't just nurse all the time. I don't really have patience for other soothing methods, but that's me, I'm lazy and I feel if baby wants to be close to me and nurse, well that's fine with me.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

We abstain when I'm likely to be ovulating, and use spermacide, either the film or the sponge always. I haven't had my period back yet but it seems to work. We nurse on demand and it's been very manageable. I got sad around a year when it slowed down a lot but then he's picked it back up with separation anxiety. Even with the eco breastfeeding I imagine that it would still be okay to set boundaries once they are older? We always nurse when James asks, but it can be after the dishwasher is loaded, or once mommy gets dressed, etc.. Now that he's older at 13 mos I'm generally happy to accommodate him and nip too. Some moms aren't okay with that and we seem to do more of nip lately now that the world isn't so distracting so that's a consideration.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!