Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On ecologicql breastfeeding?

Default Thoughts On ecologicql breastfeeding?

I just finished reading The Seven Standards of Ecological Breastfeeding and was pleasantly surprised to find that I was following all 7 standards pretty well already with my 15 wk old. Anyone else follow eco breastfeeding for the duration of their LO's nursing relationship? I'm just curious to hear others' experience. The book talks about nursing frequently for the duration of the nursing relationship, but how frequent are we talking? My LO nurses somewhere in the vicinity of 12-14x a day... Does the 8-12 feeds a day apply for the whole time she'll be nursing? I'm ok with her nursing frequently, but i just would like a frame of reference for what's typical, especially in light of eco breastfeeding.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Default Re: Thoughts On ecologicql breastfeeding

can you put what the 7 standards are? I'm interested..
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I think it's similar to the LAM method for birth control, right? There are definitely some conversations about this over in the Fertility section of the forum. Go check it out!

I never relied ecological breastfeeding as a birth control method - I couldn't have, really, because I had to go back to work when Joe was three months old. However, because of pumping and breastfeeding, my cycles did not return until Joe was 15 months, after I stopped pumping at work and when he started to back off a bit. If you're a BF'ing looking to naturally space children (i.e., you have to be okay if you get pregnant a little sooner than planned), I think it's pretty reliable for at least the first six months.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I do want to add, though, that what joe.s.mom said about being willing to accept having children closer than planned is important. My son nursed about every 45 minutes around the clock. I don't know how many sessions that is in 24 hours, but it was a LOT. And my fertility returned in the second month pp. Granted, he did use pacifiers between nursing sessions, but honestly, I'm not sure how my body would have known that, in light of the near constant nursing it was doing.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

My children all are pretty much spaced this way. Fertility, for us, done not return until at least 12 mo pp, and then we decide, do we or don't we. There is the one we had without an AF, but I was sure I was ovulating..it just happened sooner' apparently, than I thought it did in the cycle. And that was Gavin. But it has worked for us. Even with the pumping it is working
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you want to use this for birth control, be prepared to have a second child a little sooner than you might expect. But let's say you are eco BFing, not using any other form of contraception, and for some reason you don't get pregnant. If you nurse for more than a year, it's probable that eventually your baby will drop some nursing sessions. Toddler nursing is a lot different from nursing a newborn, IYKWIM!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, I should have clarified: Some women are just very fertile, and their cycles return before 6 months. LAM only works if you are BF'ing on demand, not offering solids or bottles or pacifiers, cosleeping, AND you haven't had a period yet. And even then, it's only very effective for 6 months. Once solids have been introduced, the effectiveness goes down.

Personally, my cycles didn't come back until Joe was 15 months old, but it varies a lot. I would not have wanted to get pregnant right then, but that would be perfect spacing for someone else. Still, you never know if you'll be one of the lucky (?) ones and get your cycles back sooner!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I guess I should clarify a little further. I'm not necessarily concerned about whether breastfeeding 'works' as a birth control method, per se, as DH and I have both agreed that we are ready for another baby, but would like to wait longer, so that DD can breastfeed for as long as she wants without the possible risk of weaning during pregnancy and having to supplement. We (especially my DH, surprisingly) would welcome a pregnancy with sheer joy at any time though! My bigger question was just how people who did this form of breastfeeding liked it overall, ie, did they find it exhausting at all to keep up with for 2 years, or however long they did it for. Maybe it's not that much different from just nursing on demand? I guess I was just getting the impression from the book that you nurse a lot more often eco breastfeeding, than just on demand. I didn't realize there was a fertility forum, I guess I didn't scroll down far enough! Also, for the pp who asked what the seven standards are, off the top of my head it's something to the effect of: nursing frequently on demand, pacify baby at breast, no pacifiers/artificial nipples/pumping, co sleep/nurse through the night, take a daily nap with LO...hmmm, is that 7?
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

I did this! Our son coslept and I wore him during the day, so he ended up nursing more than not--definitely more than 12-14 times a day! Maybe more than double that! My period did not return until he reached 15 months and I conceived our second child that very month. DS is so healthy now and is happily tandem nursing with our 3 week old. Definitely worth it to me in the end.

Smile Re: Thoughts On ecologicql breastfeeding

PS My milk supply dropped down to almost nothing while pregnant, so DS was mostly nursing for comfort at that time. He drank lots of raw milk from a farm down the road, but now that I have more milk he is drinking about half of the raw milk that he was. I was worried there wouldn't be enough milk for both DS1 and DS2, but DS2 is gaining weight like crazy! Overall, I am very satisfied with our nursing experience, though it is trying at times with a toddler trying to track you down for "milky" and a newborn...