Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Efficient eating??

Lightbulb Efficient eating??

How long does it take for a baby to become more efficient at emptying the breast? My 1 month old usually nurses for 15-20ins eon one side each feed. Now it seems Like 10-12 mins except at night... Her diapers are ok but I just worry she isn't getting enough or that she isn'tcompletely emptying the breast. Though there is no evidence in foremilk/ hindmilk imbalance( her stool is bright mustard yellow). Any opinions are welcome!!!
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

Default Re: Efficient eating??

It differs from baby to baby. Some babies get all they need in 5-10 minutes from birth onwards. Others will nurse for long time periods (20-40 minutes or more) until they are several months old. My first became efficient around 4-5 months. My second was efficient from day one. So it varies a lot! As long as yr LO is producing enough wet and poopy diapers, all is well, and you don't need to clock-watch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What she said!
    I am nursing twins, and from birth one nursed for shorter periods than the other. Now at 5+ months the other caught up and they seem to 'pop off' at the same time (sometimes only a few minutes, hardly ever more than 10-15).
    Diapers is the key, don't watch the clock!

Thanks ladies.... My son became efficient much later than her but he was a cow, he also emptied one side and nursed on the other for a short time. Her dirty diapers vary some days she doesn't go and other days are massive amounts. I talked to the pedi. About it and she said breastfed babies are different with bm ( my Son went with every feed) but her wets are high. Thanks for your encouragement!!
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!