Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yup I am preggo-nursing while pregnant?

Default yup I am preggo-nursing while pregnant?

After given the suggestion on this board that I may be pregnant since my supply dropped so quickly, I took a test. Can back positive w/ a dark line immediately.

I was EBF and LO is only 4 months. I took the mini pill all of July, barely had sex in August, and DH was away for work all but a few days in September. I cannot believe this. We co-sleep, nurse through the night, don't use pacifiers, or formula.

Anyway, it is what it is so I am going to try to celebrate the new life and remain positive. DH is in a total state of shock. I think he is a little upset because I was so set on not using condoms the very few times we did have sex because the research I read said EBFing was safe. Lesson learned!

Anyone successfully nurse while pregnant? LO seemed ok if I nurse her, but I am not having much luck w/ pumping to leave a lot of milk while I am at work.

I plan to start solids next month when she turns 6 months. She is eating cereal now (just started at 4 months). When she eats cereal, she does remain full longer. Should I consider solids at 5 months instead of 6 and nurse more often at home?

For today, I have enough for one bottle while I am at work. I will feed her right before leaving and I am considering coming home over lunch to nurse her. I really want to make breast feeding work if at all possible, but I definately will check to make sure she has enough wet diapers and is still gaining weight.

Anyone know any safe supplements to take while pregnant?

Thanks ladies!!!

Default Re: yup I am preggo-nursing while pregna

with pp, it's better to hold off on solids until at least 6 months - their tummies just aren't ready before then. Donor milk or formula can be used with your breastmilk to ensure that your baby is getting her nutritional needs met. Solids are quite lower in calories/fat/nutrients when compared to breastmilk (and even when compared to formula) and it's important to get the most bang for your buck at this point. I would suggest staying away from solids until your baby shows the developmental signs and focus on nursing when you're together, using donor milk (or formula), and keeping tabs on the diaper output.

While pregnant you can use some supplements, but it is limited. Drinking lots of water, eating oatmeal, mothers milk tea, etc is safe.

Congrats on your pregnancy! Things will work out Nurse as long as you can and don't forget that you can give her breastmilk when it comes in again for your second little one (either through tandum nursing if you're up for that, or in a sippy cup)
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks ladies. No, I never got AF. Crazy, isn't it?!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*june2011ftm View Post
    I was EBF and LO is only 4 months. I took the mini pill all of July, barely had sex in August, and DH was away for work all but a few days in September. I cannot believe this. We co-sleep, nurse through the night, don't use pacifiers, or formula.
    I just wanted to speak to this point for a second, because it is a huge misconception and I really wish the information wasn't out there the way that it is. Once you started pumping and then again when you started cereal, you are no longer exclusively breastfeeding. It seems like I'm mincing words, but the literal meaning of exclusively means nothing else but baby to the breast. And we all throw that word around. I say I'm exclusively breastfeeding my son because he never has any bottles and I don't pump. But he's 13 months old and getting food. As soon as he took his first bite. As soon as he put something else besides my nipple in his mouth he was no longer exclusively breastfed. And even then, honestly, the body does weird things. It's hard to predict what's going on inside of us.

I admire your positive outlook and so glad to hear that you are going to try so hard to continue to breastfeed. Many mamas do it. Head on down to the Pregnant and Breastfeeding section for some moral support.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

mama, i don't have much advice, but i wanted to congratulate you on the pregnancy. it seems overwhelming and surprising, but you have an amazing positive attitude. your new LO really wants to join the family!

wish you all the best congrats!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

No cereal when conceived..I just started cereal now at 4 months.

I feed LO right before I leave for work an as soon as I return and pump a lot at work. LO only eats 1-2 times while I am at work and I often take LO to work w/ me.

LAM works for the majority of women.

However, when you do introduce pumping, solids, a pacifier, any of that, you risk upsetting the apple cart and having this happen.

But, there are those few who do get pregnant while EBFing. Just like I got pregnant while using condoms. No BC is 100%

But LAM can be highly effective, particularly if combined with FAM. For a mom to get pregnant if she is truly using LAM is very unusual.

All this said, for the OP, something like 80% of women lose their supply while pregnant. And that is why you have formula or you use donor milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I BF for some of my pregnancy (until DS was about 11 months - which was about a month after my already insufficient supply disappeared). It is doable, but based on the drop you have already seen it is highly unlikely you are going to be one of those few women that does not need to add another milk (donor breastmilk or formula) to supplement what your baby gets from nursing. I found that nursing and supplementing was easier (physically) than I had thought it would be. My baby continued to want to nurse even though he was getting bottles. But psychologically it was tough.

To be perfectly honest if you are having low supply because of pregnancy I do not think any of the supplement which help with supply otherwise actually work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    I just wanted to speak to this point for a second, because it is a huge misconception and I really wish the information wasn't out there the way that it is. Once you started pumping and then again when you started cereal, you are no longer exclusively breastfeeding. It seems like I'm mincing words, but the literal meaning of exclusively means nothing else but baby to the breast. And we all throw that word around. I say I'm exclusively breastfeeding my son because he never has any bottles and I don't pump. But he's 13 months old and getting food. As soon as he took his first bite. As soon as he put something else besides my nipple in his mouth he was no longer exclusively breastfed. And even then, honestly, the body does weird things. It's hard to predict what's going on inside of us.
    I want to address this too because there are a lot of people who are not the OP reading this. If you start pumping at 3 weeks so your husband can feed the baby once a day, or to make sure your baby will take a bottle when you go back to work, or so you can go to a wedding or whatever you can no longer rely on lactation amennorea (LAM). You are indeed unlikely to get pregnant before you get a period but MANY women still do. If you do not want to get pregnant you need to use a barrier or hormonal birth control (or not have sex of course). Once your cycle are regular you have other options but until then, if your baby takes a paci, or has a bottle a day, or sleeps through the night you have to be careful. We had sex about 3 times between having DS and conceiving DD. There was a condom involved some or all of the time for all three. It happens.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    LAM works for the majority of women.
    and right there. The word majority is not enough for me. But I think most women think it's a surefire thing.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

And that is the problem I have seen with it too. You can't just think, oh, I'm nursing. I won't get pregnant. Because that might not work for YOU. I start watching for fertility signs as soon as the baby is out! IMHO, that is the sensible way to use LAM, and it makes for an easy transition to FAM and allows for intermittent use of barrier methods.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!