Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Beginning to breast feed at 5 weeks

Default Beginning to breast feed at 5 weeks

I'm looking for advice, I am currently exclusively expressing every 2/3 hours getting around 4 and 7 ounces, feeding by bottle 4 ounces at around 4am and 9am then 6 or 7 ounces every 4 hours during the day, i breast fed my baby in the hospital but it began to get too sore with cracked nipples, so I gave him formula for 1 day until I got a pump thinking it would give them time to heal, everytime I've tried it has been too sore until I tried yesterday will nipple protectors and it went quite well, hoping to get him back on the breast even just at night but not sure he'll settle if he's only getting 4 oz more frequently when he's used to more less often. can anyone help on how to go about this, hoping to do it gradually feeding by breast at night when he's looking for small amounts topping up with a bottle, gradually bringing this into day time feeds....is this possible?

Default Re: Beginning to breast feed at 5 weeks

Welcome! And congratulations on getting the baby back to the breast. That's a major achievement. A lot of bottle babies won't try nursing, even with a shield.

What you want to do is possible. This link more or less covers it: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html. It's about how to wean from formula supplements, but You can use it to wean from breastmilk bottles, too. This link should also be helpful: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. You may have some fussy days as you transition from bottles to breast, but hang in there and don't be afraid to offer the breast all the time, day and night. You want your LO to do as much eating at the breast as possible, and to let him learn that nursing at the breast is fun and relaxing and much more enjoyable than eating from a bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your encouragement, sites are really good! Had 2 attempts that went well yesterday unfortunately he's been straining think he's constipated for the last 24 hours, have to leave it a couple of days because he's not drinking his bottle...I am confident that he'll go back to the breast just need to know he's got his appetite back first...off to the doctors now, poor wee soul hate watching him struggle, thanks again!!

He's 100% breastfed, right? You're not using formula? If so, do not worry about constipation. Breastfed babies can go up to a week between poops, and they often start doing so around 6 weeks of age. You should not suspect constipation in a breastfed baby unless:
    - it has been over a week since baby last pooped
    - when baby does poop, the poop can be described as formed, dry, pellet-like, or hard
    - the baby seems to be in significant discomfort when pooping, turning red, screaming in pain, etc. Making an "effortful" face or having a fussy time associated with pooping doesn't really count. You're looking for real discomfort.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"