Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dip in supply. Period coming?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    466

    Default Dip in supply. Period coming?

    Today a strange thing happened. I went to nurse my LO in the morning, and it took forever to get a let-down. The let-down was very, very weak (I always feel them very intensely, and this one barely registered). I had to use both breasts instead of one, and still it didn't seem like my LO ate as much as usual.

    My normal is... in the morning I have a LOT of milk. Today the breasts don't feel full--they feel more like it's the end of the day.

    Yesterday the whole day and this night up until 6 am today, everything was normal (LO still nurses every 2 to 3 hours at night).

    Could this be a sign that I am about to get my period back? Last week I thought there were some signs of ovulation, but wasn't sure. It's been so long since I last had a period!

    My LO is 6 months, almost 18 lbs, has always gained well. Lots of poopies and wets everyday. Still nurses 8-10 times a day, we never go longer than 4 hours between feedings, and there's only one 4-hour interval in the whole day. I use one breast at a time. I've recently started solids but I'm still going slow: only a few times a week, once a day, 3/4 oz (i.e. less than one ounce) at a time (so far applesauce, squash, nectarines).

    Any suggestions on how to manage the dip in supply, if this is indeed the sign of a returning period? Even with a dip in supply, will I make enough for her? I don't have any EBM as she doesn't take a bottle, and pumping drives my supply out of control so I kind of gave up.

    Last edited by @llli*kmanih; October 11th, 2011 at 07:18 AM.
    march 2011... the light of my life

    i love my little one

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,452

    Default Re: Dip in supply. Period coming?

    Maybe, maybe not a sign of anything.

    Just keep nursing.

    If it does turn out to be AF, some moms find a calcium supplement helps. Or you could try taking fenugreek or eating oatmeal starting a few days before your next cycle and see if that helps.

    Meanwhile, just be ready to nurse on demand. Keep swapping baby between breasts. You will feel like you have a newborn again, but you will get through.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Dip in supply. Period coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Maybe, maybe not a sign of anything.
    I hope so! While I do appreciate my periods, knowing that things are working, I'm still not ready to have them back. It's kind of nice this way!


    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Meanwhile, just be ready to nurse on demand. Keep swapping baby between breasts. You will feel like you have a newborn again, but you will get through.
    Not a problem! I love holding her and nursing her so much, I won't mind.

    I'll try the calcium supplement. I had stopped Mother's Milk Tea and oatmeal because I was making too much milk even recently, but I'll go back to them for now.
    march 2011... the light of my life

    i love my little one

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    24,145

    Default Re: Dip in supply. Period coming?

    with aprilsmagic. I also want to mention that eventually feeling soft all the time and needing to use both breasts at a feeding is very normal, and not really necessarily a sign of anything other than having a supply that meets your baby's needs very exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    I hope so! While I do appreciate my periods, knowing that things are working, I'm still not ready to have them back. It's kind of nice this way!
    Not only nice and convenient, but also beneficial to your health! Before the advent of reliable birth control, the average woman was either pregnant or breastfeeding for the entirety of her reproductive life. She probably experienced very, very few menstrual cycles. Until birth control was invented, the only women who ever had lots of periods were spinsters and nuns- and they were also the only women who had a high incidence of breast cancer! A lot of breast cancers grow when exposed to estrogen, so the repeated estrogen peaks a woman experiences during her menstrual cycle increase her lifetime risk of breast cancer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Dip in supply. Period coming?

    The taking forever for letdown sounds like af. I get this and my son gets soooo upset. He's used to overactive letdown and when he has to wait he cries like someone is killing him. The calcium supplement really helped me. I started it after last month was so stressful with the delayed letdown. This month I only had one episode of letdown taking forever. And supply dip was barely perceptible.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013


    "It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Dip in supply. Period coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Not only nice and convenient, but also beneficial to your health! Before the advent of reliable birth control, the average woman was either pregnant or breastfeeding for the entirety of her reproductive life. She probably experienced very, very few menstrual cycles. Until birth control was invented, the only women who ever had lots of periods were spinsters and nuns- and they were also the only women who had a high incidence of breast cancer! A lot of breast cancers grow when exposed to estrogen, so the repeated estrogen peaks a woman experiences during her menstrual cycle increase her lifetime risk of breast cancer.
    That's cool! Made me think of my great-grandma. She had 13 children...! How on earth did she take care of all of them, I don't know! That's so interesting about the breast cancer rate in the past, I didn't know.
    march 2011... the light of my life

    i love my little one

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Dip in supply. Period coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissawoods View Post
    The taking forever for letdown sounds like af. I get this and my son gets soooo upset. He's used to overactive letdown and when he has to wait he cries like someone is killing him. The calcium supplement really helped me. I started it after last month was so stressful with the delayed letdown. This month I only had one episode of letdown taking forever. And supply dip was barely perceptible.
    Glad to learn that the supply dip is not always so bad. I had read some posts here that made me anxious.

    As for the calcium supplement, do you take it everyday all month long, or just before the period? What dosage?
    march 2011... the light of my life

    i love my little one

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •