Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy feeds: does this end?

Unhappy Fussy feeds: does this end?

My LO will be 8 weeks tomorrow. For the last two weeks he has gotten extremely fussy during some feedings during the day and some late at night. He probably does this at about three feedings a day, but somehow it feels like more of them.

He tenses up, he cries -- sometimes sounding like he's in pain -- he thrashed around wildly, he rakes his nails across his face and across me. Burping him, switching sides, changing his diaper -- none of it stops it. Today in the span of a few seconds during one of these episodes he managed to punch me in the face twice, punch himself once, and rake his nails across both of us painfully. He pulls himself off, then roots wildly and if he doesn't get the nipple he starts crying and stuffs his fists into his mouth. Then the cycle repeats. When he tenses up suddenly ten minutes into eating I know what's coming and I just dread the ensuing battle at the breast.

I have tried breast compressions. I've tried not doing them. I've tried lifting him higher than the nipple. I cut out dairy weeks ago. I tried feeding on one side only, then I tried switching sides when he fusses. None of it changes anything. Meanwhile his diaper output seems fine -- his poop turned green a week ago, but it's not frothy and the pediatrician said it's fine.

When these episodes hit the only thing that calms him down is swaddling/shushing/swinging/side lay/pacifier.

I will not quit nursing, but if there was ever a day when part of me wanted to, it's today. I am not one to cry but after the punch out I got from him today and watching him fight at my breast it finally broke me down a bit. Nursing is supposed to be comforting and I feel, during these episodes, like he HATES it. Today it really made me feel that New Mom Inadequacy.

PLEASE tell me this fussing at the breast ends. Will I ever get the baby back that loves to nurse and then looks up at me with the sweetest milk coma smile? I miss that baby.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: Fussy feeds: does this end?

sounds tough!

It does sound like he's uncomfortable.
    Do you have a strong let down? Does he have reflux?
    Does he do this the entire time on the breast or only after a few minutes?
    How often is he nursing total? If he's still nursing enough and soothing him in other ways helps then go for it at those times.

I don't know what could be causing this but you will get through it mama. You will figure it out and things will get better.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the encouragement. He nurses frequently, averaging about twelve feedings a day (so he nurses roughly every 1.5-2 hours). I doubt he has reflux because he spits up so infrequently and it never bothers him when he does do it.

I thought I had OALD, but I really don't think I do -- his fussing only starts ten minutes into eating.

Sometimes his fussing DOES appear to be intestinally related -- he'll grunt and groan and then pass some gas or fill the diaper, and I know that nursing can sometimes have a laxative effect like this. When it's clear it's gas related then he'll usually stop fussing, but it rarely seems like it's intestinal and more like some weird, non-specific frustration.

I have the same questions as the PP. Green stools could certainly be an indication of oversupply, and oversupply often leads to fast letdowns which make babies uncomfortable at the breast. That was an issue with my second baby, who did not really enjoy nursing until she was a bit older, and my supply had adjusted and she was better able to handle fast letdowns. (Ater about 3 months, she started to looooove nursing, though, and at 17 months is a total nursing fanatic.)

I know getting punched in the face sucks, mama. BTDT, and it's hard to believe that something so unintentional and innocent could still hurt so much. It's like you're doing your absolute best for your baby and all they do is punish you for it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I too thought the green poops indicated OALD, but:

(1) they aren't frothy
    (2) they started a week or so AFTER I had changed from feeding on both sides to feeding on one side only, which seems to be the complete opposite of what should have happened. It's really perplexing.