Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am i doomed for formula?

Exclamation am i doomed for formula?

Hello everyone. My lo is 4 months old and ebf. I work full time and usually pump every 2 to 3 hr at work and as much as possible at home. I drink a lot of water...eat oatmeal...take vitamins...and after I couldn't pump much recently...started taking fenugreek 3 pills 3xs a day.

I am still only getting half an ounce when I pump.

I use a medela pis..called them to trouble shoot..got new membranes and different sizes of the part your nipple goes into.

Nothing has worked. I even try pumping while my husband drives..while lo is eating. Waking up in night to pump....

I didn't have problems until recently. I don't know what to do! I don't want to use formula..but I am already coming to work late..leaving early..and pumping a ton when I am there. I also bring lo to work some because I can't pump enough. I feel like I'm pushing my luck at work.

I really want this to work but I don't know what to do! Lo seems ok when I bf. Just can't pump enough while I'm gone. I could 1st 3 months but now I get almost nothing!

Also I don't take any medications.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by @llli*june2011ftm; October 11th, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Default Re: am i doomed for formula?

Is it possible you are pregnant? Sudden and extreme reduction in supply certainly makes me wonder.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Is it possibly your pump? Have you tried another to test?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I suppose it could be possible but I ebf, don't use a pacifier, and co sleep and my cycles never returned so the odds are very low.

If you can, see if you can rent a hospital grade pump and see if your output improves.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I use a medela pump in style which is hospital grade. I called them to troubleshoot and can't find anything wrong w/ the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*june2011ftm View Post
    I suppose it could be possible but I ebf, don't use a pacifier, and co sleep and my cycles never returned so the odds are very low.
    Go pee on a stick. As soon as pumping comes in to play LAM cannot be relied on IMO. If you are pg you will need to supplement (you can use donor bm - like from eats-on-feets/human-milk-for-human-babies if you are comfortable doing so it doesn't have to be formula). If it is your pump (they should be able to check suction at a lactation store - often attached to hospitals) you want to avoid supplementing as much as possible and get your new pump working over-time.

FWIW - PISA is not hospital grade pump, it is a single user professional grde pump. A hospital grade pump (Lactina, Symphony or Endeare are multiuser and really do have much better suction. But a PISA was doing you fine, then stopped.

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

You cycle could be returning. I have a dip each month.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thanks for the tips. I can't bring myself to buy a test as if I am pregnant I would like to live in denial a little while longer!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*june2011ftm View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I can't bring myself to buy a test as if I am pregnant I would like to live in denial a little while longer!
    As someone with a 17 month gap between babies I really understand that. But iirc we had a mom/baby dyad that had big issues because they didn't supplement early enough. So if you cannot get a quick suction check please do so soon.

Also a talk with your mw/ob about bc

Family beds are awesome