Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackstrap Molasses and Iron

Default Blackstrap Molasses and Iron

At our 9 month check up my son was tested for iron and we were told it was a bit low. Our ped suggested increasing iron rich foods and/or vitamin supplements. I don't want to mess with supplements, considering the adverse effects.

I purchased some blackstrap molasses and have been trying to come up with ways to incorporate it into my son's diet. We are doing BLW so no purees to mix it into. So far we have mixed it in with cream of wheat and yogurt spread on waffles, both successful.

Anyone else work molasses into their baby's diet?
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Default Re: Blackstrap Molasses and Iron

I have a great quick bread that uses molasses. I would assume that blackstrap molasses would work too.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...olasses-bread/
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

YES! At a year my daughters iron levels were extremely low. In fact, we had to bring her back twice just for them to be able to get enough blood out of her. She was a preemie, so it's common. I put blackstrap molasses in her oatmeal each morning. I would also put it on pancakes, waffles and greek yogurt.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thanks for the bread recipe. From what I understand blackstrap isn't good for baking, due to the low sugar content, but regular molasses has some good iron, calcium and potassium, too, just less concentrated.

I am thinking about mixing up a bunch of yogurt and blackstrap molasses to keep in the refrigerator so it is ready to spread on anything.

My son was a bit early, too, so we shouldn't have been surprised by the low iron.

Of topic: I tried putting some in my coffee after seeing it suggested online somewhere, but it is a bit to strong for me!

I put blackstrap into oatmeal for DD and me. I usually add a handful of raisins, too, which are rich in iron

I love, love, love molasses milk. I grew up on it instead of chocolate milk. I know your DS isn't old enough for cow's milk, but you might enjoy it! Just mix it up about to the color of chocolate milk. Yummy!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

We tried mixed into oatmeal this morning and he just picked at it, but he hasn't been into any oatmeal I have made for him yet.

Are you mixing blackstrap into milk, or regular sweet molasses? I have both on hand.

It might sound a little strange, but you can really add it into anything strong flavored. I've added it into pasta sauce, baked beans, braised meat, or put it on bread with butter, kind of like a substitute for honey. When I put it on bread, I only used a little since it is strongly flavored, but my daughter liked it. Eating a lot of grains sometimes interferes with iron (and other mineral) absorption because of the phytate content, cutting back on that stuff might help your LO get more iron out of the food you're already giving. I know a lot of people are not into liver, but I think most babies don't have that aversion taught to them yet and they're into it.

I second the molasses milk. I've made some with some maple syrup and blackstrap molasses, just to make it a wee bit sweeter.
    SAHM to threee (homebirthed) kiddos...
    Mouse 10/29/2008
    Chipmunk 4/16/2011
    LP 11/16/12

www.kimchilatkes.com

We went in for our follow up visit to re-check the hemoglobin today. In 5 weeks he went from 9.5 to 10.9gm/dL. The low end of "normal" is 11. The pedi still wants us to give him iron supplements. Am I off base here, or is that just overkill?

I didn't want to argue with the nurse (didn't talk to the doctor directly) because I assumed my husband would be in agreement with the doctor, as he was a bit reluctant to not start supplements in the first place. To my surprise, when i told him the verdict over the phone, my husband agreed with me that the supplements are a bad idea, seeing how well the diet has been working.

My husband is going to try calling the doctor to talk about this more because we are uncomfortable with any extra supplements.

We used Floradix thanks to recommendations from the ladies here. You can find it in health food stores and places like the Vitamin Shoppe. It doesn't cause the same side effects (like constipation) as the traditional iron supplements, and it doesn't taste horrible. My 2 yo doesn't hate it. We were trying to get his iron up by changing the diet, and tried some molasses too, but we ended up going to with Floradix because we were in the middle of a big coast to coast move and vacation and we could not guarantee that we would be able to get him to eat the iron-rich foods we would eat if we were settled in one place.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Thanks for the recommendation; that just might make everyone happy