Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help me decide!

Default Please help me decide!

I have been going to back and forth for days about what breast pump to get. Either pisa or freestyle. Im a sahm and never travel. I have read not so great things about the freestyle on amazon and stuff, about loss of suction and less milk output with the freestyle. The cost doesn't matter as my insurance is paying for it.

Bfing didnt work out with my first ds and i am determined this time lol so i want to make sure i have a pump thats good incase i have to EP!! So which one girls? i plan to rent a symphony at first to get me off to a good start but only 2 months or less.

Default Re: Please help me decide!

Well, both are good pumps. I had a Freestyle. It was great when I worked full time and pumped. Just curious why you want to rent a Symphony for the first two months? It's not really essential to have a pump to get off to a good start with nursing. The best way to do that is to nurse. There are some mamas here who have EP'ed. I pumped until my daughter was 1 while she was at daycare during the day, and that was plenty of pumping for me. I would rather nurse any day of the week. Pumping is A LOT of work.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I don't know about the freestyle but I do have the PISA that I use at work. I really like the PISA. If you do ever travel where you might need a pump the PISA comes in a black tote that is really discreet and handy! It gets the milk out really well and you can make it hands-free just by cutting 2 holes in a sports bra and sliding in the horns.

I have heard both are good, though. I wish I knew more about the freestyle to give you more of a comparison review. Hopefully others who have used both can help with that. I can tell you, however, that I do not regret the PISA at all and am very happy with it
    July 27 2011

Idk i thought i kinda had to to have my milk come in lol the hospital really incouraged it before we left with my first ds. I hope nursing works out for us this time. I would much rather nurse than pump anyday but i just want to be prepared because i wasnt with my first and it was very hard on me that it didnt work out like i wanted it too :/

Do NOT have it in your head that you will or might have to EP.

You are going to BF. End of discussion with yourself. Line up hands on help. So many moms don't do that, but really, that was the reason they failed the first tome.

Besides, to EP, you need a hospital grade pump AND a professional grade portable pump, or be ready to haul a hospital grade everywhere. I EP out of necessity (cleft baby) and I use a Symphony every day, so if you EP, you need to rent it for more than just a couple months. I would suggest knowing where to get one, but not having it. Nurse instead!

What went wrong the first time?

Of the two you list, I prefer the Freestyle, as it is smaller, but I actually get more milk with a hospital grade, followed by a Lansinoh/Ameda pump, which is very light to carry; however, I do not think it runs well off batteries.

But,again, do NOT think about how BFing might fail. Instead, think about ways to make it succeed!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!