Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hindmilk/foremilk: pumping block feeding

Default Hindmilk/foremilk: pumping block feeding

My LO has had green foam bowel movements for over a week. She has been very gassy and not sleeping. I did some research and figured it was an imbalance with my hindmilk. To resolve this I have been block feeding. However I have been pumping and/or hand expressing prior to feeding on the new breast. So for example: pump right breast till a little creamy milk appears, then feed for three feedings on the right side without pumping in-between feedings. Then switching to the left breast and repeat the same process.
    My question is a two parter:

1.) is what I am doing okay? Will she be hydrated?

2.) I need to work on my milk storage for my return to work. How should I do this and incorporate to correct my imbalance?

My husband really wants me to use formula, but I really want to breastfeed my baby. Please help.

Default Re: Hindmilk/foremilk: pumping block fee

Your baby will be fine. But doing this does two things:

1) perpetuates oversupply, which is part of the reason you have an fore milk/hindmilk imbalance (IMHO, there is no such real thing. It's all OS)
    2) makes more work for you.

Instead, simply hand express a bit, if necessary, to soften the breast so baby can latch.

Sometimes, you need longer blocks.

Finally, block feeding can take quite a while before you start seeing a change. We are not alway taking days. It can take weeks. So don't get frustrated.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Hindmilk/foremilk: pumping block fee

with the PP. She is an oversupply guru!

How old is your baby? A lot of moms start stressing about pumping and returning to work way before they have to. Depending on how old your baby is, now might be a good time to focus on nursing and just leave the pump on the shelf, for the most part.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"