Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overactive let-down: will it happen again?

Default Overactive let-down: will it happen again?

I'm due in June with our 2nd child. I had quite a time with the overactive let down with our first. Will it happen again with my second? I don't know if it's a situational problem or a physical problem or what causes it? But I'd rather be 'normal'!
    Thanks for any information you may know of!
    Kristi

Default Re: Overactive let-down: will it happen again?

Hi Kristi,
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope it's been a smooth ride for you thus far

Mom's who experience OALD with their first babies will normally experience it with all of their babies. OALD is usually associated with an oversupply issue which usually resolves itself by about 12 weeks.

There are varying degrees of OALD -- sometimes it's just a nuisance and other times it causes a lot of problems. Can you share your experience with your first baby with us? That can help to give us a better idea on what we can suggest for you.

Thanks! Well I hate to hear that because it was a very sort of scary and yet aggravating experience especially for a first time mom that wasn't sure of herself anyway! But at least now, I can proceed with my clean dry cloths and some knowledge and confidence.
    The first couple weeks of breast feeding seemed to be normal, then thats when my son started to almost gag and cry when the 'hydrant' let down came. Unlike some, I experienced no pain at all, or even a let down feeling! But when my son released because of the volume, I realized that the volume was tremendous. I was soaking myself, my bed, everything! I don't remember when the problem subsided, but I do remember it got better after some period. Still, the experience wasn't the most positive for us, and my son chose to self wean at about 6 months. I will still breastfeed the second one though since all the benefits exceed the extra measure that you have to take with the 'problem'. Thanks for the information! Hope this helps.
    Kristi

Kristi,
    Since you know that you may suffer from oversupply with baby #2, you can take measures right off the bat to help. Many mom's will begin block feeding right from the start (use one breast for all nursing sessions for a 2-3 hour period of time - if that doesn't help, increase the blocks to longer periods of time). You can also use gravity to your advantage -- lay on your back and put baby on top of you for nursing. Or pump your breasts until your milk initally lets down then put baby to breast.

Research/evidence tells us that a baby won't self-wean prior to about age 2 and definately not before age 1 unless prompted by some outside influence -- mom being absent for long periods of time, medications, illness, etc. And a lot of weaning tends to happen over the holiday's.

But you've got the advantage of experience on your side so I'm sure you'll do fine!