Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with all of my frozen milk???

Default What to do with all of my frozen milk???

I read the thread on too much frozen milk but it didn't really answer one of the questions that I have. My son is 3 months old on Monday the 27th of Feb. I started pumping right out of the hospital to increase my supply and also so my husband could help with feedings so I could get some rest.

Now we are on a bedtime routine in which my husband puts my son down to bed each evening with a bottle of my breast milk. I pump every night before I go to bed so that I'm not engorged in the morning and I freeze the milk. I still wake up once in the middle of the night to breast feed my son.

Now my problem is that I have lots of breast milk in a freezer that only gets opened once a day (to put my milk in it). I would like to use up most of the breast milk in the freezer so I don't get wayyyy behind (or ahead) of myself. If I stop pumping in the evening prior to bedtime will that slow my milk supply down? Is this the best solution for me? Any suggestions.

Jennifer

Default Re: What to do with all of my frozen milk???

Yes if you stop pumping over time your milk supply will decrease. I can't tell you what the solution for you would be. But I can throw some questions your way to help you decide for yourself if it's the best solution to stop night expressing. You stated that you have a stash of frozen ebm, do you currently need anymore than you have? Cause if not maybe for the time being you could stop that night pumping session. If you still need to keep a good frozen supply of milk then keep up the pumping session. I would just express enough to be comfortable to go to sleep. Hope I helped some.

Also some things to think about... Depending on when you're planning to start solids, you can use that milk to add to cereal, fruits, etc. Or, if you're considering childcare at some point you can have that milk for DB to bring to daycare or as backup for sitter, etc.

Hi Jennifer,
    I just wanted to clarify with you. When your dh gives ds the bottle at bedtime, what milk is he using? Is it the milk that you pumped the evening before (the bedtime pumping) or are you pumping at other times as well? Or is it milk that you had from past pumpings? I'm sorry, maybe I just didn't read your post clearly enough!

LLL typically suggests that moms use the freshest milk they can. So, it would be beneficial for you to go ahead and give ds the milk that was most recently pumped, straight from the refrigerator (warmed of course, if he likes it that way!). Human milk continues to change in nutritional and other aspects as the baby ages. So, if you can I would suggest feeding him the milk that you pump, soon after you pump it. If this is the case, that would leave you with just what is left in the freezer. You would be adding to the freezer stash any more. But that amount would remain the same. How much milk do you have in the freezer now? Would this be possible for you to do?

If I stop pumping in the evening prior to bedtime will that slow my milk supply down? Is this the best solution for me?

This is a tough question to answer. It would be helpful to know how many times in 24 hours ds nurses, in addition to pumping sessions. How many hours would there be between his last feeding (on the breast) in the evening before dh gives him the EBM, until the next time he nurses in the middle of the night?

Sorry for all the questions/clarifications! I just want to make sure we are giving you the most helpful information we can!

Sorry if I wasn't really clear with the previous information. When my husband feeds my son at night right now he is using frozen milk from past pumpings.(currently I have just under a month's supply of frozen milk). The milk that I pump at night I have been storing in the freezer and dating it.

Yes, I can certainly start giving my husband milk pumped from the previous night. I do want my son to have the most nutritous milk for his age and development. My question then is what to do with the milk I have frozen. It seems horrible to dispose of it. I worked awfully hard to make it

To answer your other question about frequency of nursing. My son usually nurses every two hours beginning at between 1-3A. We put him to bed at 8P so my husband feeds him at 8P and then he awakes anywhere between 1-3A depending on how tired he is. His last feeding on the breast in the evening is usually around 6P then my husband feeds him at bedtime at 8P and then he wakes up for another feeding anywhere between 1-3A.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate all information and help you can provide.

Jennifer

Jennifer,
    You were fine with the information you provided! I just wanted to clarify!

First, just let me reassure you. I don't want you to think that you have not been giving your ds the proper nutrition. By all means, your milk is the right food for him no matter what and it is always full of nutrition! But, milk composition does change to meet his different developemental stages, so if you can, using the freshest milk is always the way to go!

To answer your other question about frequency of nursing. My son usually nurses every two hours beginning at between 1-3A. We put him to bed at 8P so my husband feeds him at 8P and then he awakes anywhere between 1-3A depending on how tired he is. His last feeding on the breast in the evening is usually around 6P then my husband feeds him at bedtime at 8P and then he wakes up for another feeding anywhere between 1-3A.

So he is nursing about 8 or 9 times in 24 hours? And you pump sometime between 6pm and 1am? If you were to not pump, you would go for about 7-9 hours without nursing or pumping, is this right?

If it is still working for you I would not suggest changing things at this time. Yes, some babies this young do sleep for stretches as long as 7 hours, and their moms do adjust to this. But this does not seem to be your baby's schedule yet! Since he is still feeding before bed and then waking to feed before bed I would continue pumping in the evening.

If you did decide to cut the pumping out, I would suggest watching for signs of plugged ducts and mastitis (soreness, hard spots in breast, redness, warmth). You could express just enough to relieve engorgement.

Milk supply is very individual. But, anytime we eliminate a feeding (or pumping) we tell the breasts to slow down production. That may work for you until the milk in the freezer runs out. But then you would need to decide what to do after that.

Do you see yourself continuing with this plan for a while? If so, and you did quit pumping, how long would your frozen milk last? About a month?

So now you are still left with the question of what to do with the extra milk. By no means would I want to see you throw out this precious milk!
    As the PP said, will you have other needs for the milk? Will you be returning to work? Do you feel comfortable having a little extra "just in case"? You could use it so soften baby food, as another poster said.

Ok, have I confused you yet? I am just trying to get a better grasp on things! It is getting late now, but I will see if I can find any related articles for you to check out and get back to you.

Thanks!

Yes, I usually pump in the evening around 8P when my husband is putting my son to bed. MY son wakes me up again in the early morning hours to feed. So, typically I go anywhere between 5-8 hours between the pumping and the feeding. I will continue to pumpin the evening and I will use the milk stored in the freezer for other things like softening food and back up feedings (if I go shopping or take some time for myself).

No, I do not plan to go back to work at this time. I am a stay at home mom and my husband and I are fortunate enough to be able to give our son this very special time with mommy. So, there would really be no need for me to use the extra stored milk. Except of course if I decide to take a few hours for myself or if I do receive a call from a client fora massage.

Thanks again for your help and any articles you can find for my I will appreciate.

Jennifer

Jennifer,
    I would suggest that you simply start nursing baby directly at that 8 pm feeding when your husband typically gives baby a bottle. Then you can save your existing stash of EBM for future occasional use such as when you need to be away from baby for an hour or two, to mix in with solid foods once you start or to make fun things like Momsicles! You can also make lots of other things from that breastmilk -- Made from mom's milk. By the way, neither of those links are LLL approved resources

HTH! Keep up the great work!

HI Jennifer, i had a similar issue with frozen EBM... my bb is just a week younger than yours and i had a stash of EBM filled up to the brim in my freezer compartment of a 2-door fridge which i specially got for this purpose!! i got all these milk thanks to a regimen of pumping/feeding every 3 hours. eventually, like you, i decided to be a SAHM and also to stop pumping as a result.

as EBM has a shelf life, and i really didn't want to keep it for too long since i wouldn't need it for mixing with cereals for at least 3 months, i gave it away to a mummy through a breastfeeding network and only kept some for 'just-in-case' situations. if you think you don't need so much, you could find someone who might need it through the forum or your local bf chapter.

there'll be someone out there who'll be grateful to you for the best milk in the world! when a friend of mine found out i'd donated mine to someone i didn't know, she asked why i didn't give it to her! cos' i didn't know then that she couldn't fully bf becos of lump issues.

good luck on the adjustment. i had to work through mine!!!

snort
    lucas 12/5/05

Thank you so much for the ideas on what to do with EBM! That's GREAT! I will totally use these as well!

Question though..EBM which has been frozen cannot be frozen again correct? Then how can I make smoothies/ice cream with it?? Thanks!