Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really Uncertain- Need BF Help!

Default Really Uncertain- Need BF Help!

Hello All,
    I am the mother of a now 15 week old babe. He has had 'colic' since he was in the world, but has always fed well and latched well, we have never had problems until now! He is in the 25th percentile for his wight, and has not had any problems gaining weight. He has plenty of wet diapers for his age.
    The problem? About three weeks ago, he started having trouble with feeding. He pops off every 2-3 seconds and eventually gets irritated until I flip him to the other side. I can't figure out if it is overactive letdown that is getting him upset, or if the flow is slowing down and that is getting him upset. Here is the picture:

He begins to feed, gulping and gulping, then starts popping off after a few minutes. I try to compress the breast to help with the flow. He gets fussy until I flip him to the other side, then we repeat the same again. When he gets fussy on the second side, I try flipping him back. Back and forth we go until I get frustrated and try to stop feeding. Sometimes I try to burp him in between and he just screams until I get him back on. When I eventually stop feeding him he screams and screams and screams. During the day, he never stops feeding and is happy, he feeds, pops off constantly, and then screams when I try to stop feeding him. Eventually he will burp and chill out, but not always. Sometimes I can slide the pacifier in and he will chill out. I just can't figure it out. He used to eat and then sleep, or stop eating and be happy. Now he just seems fussy and unhappy. When I get up in the middle of the night to feed him it is better, he does not pop off as much, but still does to some extent.

I have just cut out dairy to see if that will help. I can't really block feed because he just won't tolerate it. How do I know if it is a let-down problem, a slow-flow problem, or none of the above? It didn't start until he was about eleven or twelve weeks old. Any thoughts would be appreciated!! I am so frustrated that I do not know what to do for him!

Megan

Default Re: Really Uncertain- Need BF Help!

I think you really hit the nail on the head: it's so hard to know what is bothering your LO- fast letdowns, slow letdowns, something else? If the issue is fast letdowns, I think you would want to see some or all of the following: baby choking, coughing, gagging, spluttering, or making a clicking/clucking noise during feedings, and milk squirting or streaming from the breast when baby unlatches. You might also experience frequent engorgement, lots of sensations of "fullness", and lots of leaking. Slow letdowns would be harder to detect because they don't have such pronounced symptoms. So I'm not sure how you'd determine if slow letdowns were a problem... Except perhaps by trying to gauge when you're having them- either by having the letdown sensation or watching for lots of gulping. If the baby seems unhappy when there's no letdown occurring, then maybe the issue is that the letdowns aren't coming fast enough for him.

I think there's another strong possibility here: reflux. Constant feeding, constant screaming when not feeding... They can be reflux symptoms because milk is alkaline and helps neutralize stomach acid, and because constant swallowing can help keep stomach contents down where they belong.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think there's another strong possibility here: reflux. Constant feeding, constant screaming when not feeding... They can be reflux symptoms because milk is alkaline and helps neutralize stomach acid, and because constant swallowing can help keep stomach contents down where they belong.
    this is what I was thinking too. Have you talked to your Pediatrician about this mama?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Thanks ladies- just hit the wall yesterday- so frustrated and sad for the little guy. Have stopped dairy, am hoping that will help since my husband also had dairy issues as a baby/child. I am going tomorrow to see the Cranio-Sacral therapist that worked on him as a newborn, we'll see what she thinks. After that I will call the pediatrician. I am curious to see how removing the dairy will help. It has gotten MUCH worse in the last three weeks. Can dairy intolerance take a while to develop?

Could it be teeth? My 16 year old got 2 within 2 weeks = starting at 14 weeks. He was irritable, nursed a lot, popped off a lot...and he's usually a VERY happy baby!

What does he do if you rub his gums?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

You pretty much told my story of my LO. She would scream and cry and constantly un-latch and come to find out, she has reflux. Does your LO clench their hands into fists or arch their back? Those are two big indicators of reflux. Also, does your LO make gagging faces or act like they tasted something horrible? Good luck mom!
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

RichMomma- I thought about the teething- he has been drooling up a storm. When I rub his gums he just gums my finger, kind of chews on it, but doesn't seem upset about it. In addition to cutting out dairy, I am trying him in his crib with it slightly elevated. That would make sense, maybe, as to why he always falls asleep in my arms or in bed with me, but won't lay flat- if it is reflux. Today was better. We'll see how tonight goes. I was seriously getting to the point where I was getting kind of run down and depressed! Thanks for the input. I hope it gets better soon- after almost four months of this, my husband and I are getting pretty tired....

I didn't know my dear baby daughter was colicky from me drinking dairy until she was 2 1/2 months old. Poor baby. I went to the pediatrician & he told me to stop nursing immediately. I was so bummed. But instead I pumped while I tried all kinds of expensive formula. This was back in 2001 so they didn't have so many different kinds.

So I would do formula for 3 days then try to breastfeed for one day & she did the same thing: Scream, scream, scream (like she was in pain) I tried on & off for over a month.

Finally gave up because I didn't know any other solutions. Again, my poor baby. (she is 10 now & sometimes dairy does bother her)

Anyway, during the next year or 2 I learned that by me drinking dairy it could possibly bother the baby. So with my next 3 pregnancies I tried to drink milk at first & they showed the same symptoms & I immediately stopped all dairy & BAM.... a new baby!!!! Wish I would of known with my daughter.

Hugs!
    Cissy

Does it usually take the full two weeks to see an improvement? He seems better already after only three days- still some symptoms, but not as cranky.

Frequently, you will see an improvement right away! The thing about weeks is that it takes up to a couple of weeks for the dairy to entirely leave mama's body, and then up to another couple of weeks for the last traces to leave baby's body. So some moms will not be able to see much improvement until that point, if their babies are really sensitive to trace exposure.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012