Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Accidently left milk out

Default Accidently left milk out

I pump at work and Friday when I got home I was distracted and forgot to put my milk away in the refrigerator. My milk was in a zippered insulated case with a freezer pack. I realized at about 5am this morning that I had forgotten and when I checked it was cool to the touch (never reached room temp) but not "chilled" as it should be. Is it OK to use this milk or do I have to dump it? Unfortunately, since returning to work I have found decreased production so I have no stored milk to fall back on. Obviously I dont want to give my baby milk that isnt "OK" but I dont want to dump my hard earned supply if I dont have to. Please help!

Default Re: Accidently left milk out

Smell it, if it smells fine I would, and have used it.
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; October 9th, 2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Smell it, if it smells fine I would, and have used it.
    I've even used room temp milk as long as it smelled fine! You should be ok
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I agree, it's probably fine. Were the ice packs still cold? My little 'chart' says you can leave milk in a cooler with ice for up to 24 hours.

I agree with the PP's. If it smells fine and taste fine then I would use it.
    July 27 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*efifer View Post
    I agree, it's probably fine. Were the ice packs still cold? My little 'chart' says you can leave milk in a cooler with ice for up to 24 hours.
    The pack was cool but had melted and was no longer frozen. The interior of the insulated case was cool- not cold- but cool so I feel comfortable saying that it never reached room temp. For clarification it was left out for about 36 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    I've even used room temp milk as long as it smelled fine! You should be ok
    I gave it a sniff and it smells fine (basically like nothing). Im assuming that spoiled HM smells something like spoiled CM?

I would taste each bottle to be sure.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Yes spoiled breast milk smells rancid, you can definitely tell.. If it smells like nothing, you are fine.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language