Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help and advice needed please!

Default Help and advice needed please!

Hi, Im new here, this is my first post. My DS is 12+5 weeks old and was exclusively breastfed until he was 9 weeks old. He was 8lb 7oz when he was born and after an initial small weight loss he was up to 9lb 13oz at 4 weeks old. This is where the problems started! From 4-9 weeks he gained 1oz and then lost it again! This is when the GP advised formula top ups and he was having 3 x 3oz formula top ups after feeds a day. Meanwhile he was diagnosed with reflux.
    He has been a very sicky baby since he was born and was prescribed Gaviscon, which helped a little. I put his lack of weight gain down to the reflux and being sick all the time. He has now stopped the Gaviscon and he is on Ranitidine tds.
    Im not convinced this is really doing anything to help though. He gained 9oz in a week after starting the top ups.
    I have now been advised to stop the top ups and replace a whole feed rather than topping up as it will affect my milk supply so now he has 5oz formula following his bath.
    So thats a bit of history!

My concern is (as well as not gaining well) that in the last few weeks, probably since starting the top ups he has become really fussy at the breast.
    Sometimes he feeds really well, mainly morning and night but throughout the day as soon as I put him to the breast he starts to scream and pull away. Sometimes he has a few sucks and then cries, othertimes he wont go near it! I sometimes think that hes not hungry as he will accept his dummy and fall asleep but if its around the time of his bottle feed he will happily drink 5oz from a bottle after refusing the breast! Im so desperate to carry on feeding but if he continues to refuse to feed I may have to give up as im scared he will start to lose weight. Can anyone shed any light? Is it the reflux? Low milk supply? (although I seem to have a good amount and can hear him swallowing it) The fact he has a bottle a day?
    Im having him weighed on monday so at least ill have some idea if hes getting enough but im pretty sure hes not gained again.
    Also I should add that my other son started to lose weight/not gain arould 14 weeks old. I used nipple shields with him and the HV said it was due to those my milk supply had decreased and I supplemented him with formula although he didnt gain good amounts of weight until he was weaned. Hes fine now.
    Sorry for the essay! Thanks for reading!!

Default Re: Help and advice needed please!

I'll give this some thought and come back. I have had four babies with reflux.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you!

A couple things stand out to me:

5 oz is a LOT of milk. Way more than most babies who are BF ever take. My almost 9 month old, who cannot nurse, only takes 3-4 oz at a feeding.

Regarding his weight...were these weights taken on the same scale, with baby dressed the same way? And bear in mind that weight can easily change, say if baby defecated or just ate.

All babies will drink from a bottle, whether or not they are truly hungry. And overfeeding, because a baby has to swallow the milk given via bottle or drown, will cause big weight gains.

I had one baby who had terrible reflux. He took two meds to control it. Also,if baby is rapidly gaining, his medication doseages will need to be altered quite often.

I also found that a dairy-free diet helped all my reflux babies.

Of a greater concern, though, is it sounds like your LO is developing a nipple preference. Many babies do, as a bottle is easy; breastfeeding is WORK. I don't have it bookmarked here on my iPad, but if you look that up at kellymom or the FAQ here, you will get good tips on getting baby to the breast.

IMHO, there is way more to look at than weight gain. If baby is doing well without the supplements, like making enough wets and poops, etc, then supplements might not be necessary.

The issue with supplementing is that if you give formula and don't nurse, your supply WILL drop.

How about seeing another doc for a second opinion? Our first ped thought I should be supplementing, but another one didn't, and I followed her advice, and my babies all thrived, even with reflux.

There are quite a few of us here who have BTDT with reflux, and starting a thread on reflux might get you some more information and ideas.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!