Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn being overfed?

Default Newborn being overfed?

I'm a first time mom and my son is now 11 days old. He's a voracious eater and latches on great! But because of frustration with engorgement -- poor little guy was drowning in breastmilk every night because there was too much milk coming out too fast - I've started pumping breast milk and feeding it to him in bottles (Playtex Ventaire). I still breastfeed with the breast too - once or twice a day - sometimes more. Ever since I've done this - we are both happier...and drier.

His diaper output is great and so is he weight gain...my main worry/question/concern is that he is being overfed? During the last few days -more so during the late nights (12a-7am) he wakes up nearly every hour (sometimes at the half hour) and wants to be fed and since I use the bottle I notice that it's 4-5oz that he's taking in every feeding. I try to see if there's any other way to calm him down when he's crying -- rocking, pacifier, changing diaper - but it all comes down to him being hungry, period. So I either give him a bottle or the breast. But these late night marathon feedings have gotten me exhausted and also, I don't know if he's being overfed!?

Any advice?

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Newborn being overfed?

Congratulations new momma!

That sounds like a growth spurt to me. They're very exhausting, but I promise it won't last forever. Could you nurse more at night instead of using a bottle? You could let your milk spray for a few seconds into a towel at first so you don't drown your baby, and then let him nurse as long as he wants. The great thing about nursing instead of bottle feeding is it's unlikely they'll overeat. HTH.

I had the same spraying problem last week and I found that if I pump a little before feeding (or completely just before bedtime) it helps me get though the night. I am nursing some at night but letting my hubby help out with bottle feeding too. As for the non-stop feeding, I agree with the PP - it is likely a growth spurt. I'm sure it will pass but you can mention it to your LO's ped doc at your 2 week check up if her is still doing it in a few days.

Good luck and congrats on your LO!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

If it keeps up like that at night (i.e. longer than a growth spurt timeframe), I would just place a call to the pediatrician, LLL leader or LC. Maybe it's just me, but 4-5 oz every half hour to an hour seems like an awful lot for that little tummy. I hope one of the LLL moderators will chime in and tell me I am wrong.

i agree with pps. try nursing more at night. less chance of over feeding. i too feel like that's a lot but I'm not a Dr. My boys (3 months) are just now sometimes eating 5-6 oz. but I only give them a bottle occasionally so I'm not sure how often they would eat that much.

Thanks for your quick replies! This forum is great!!

Would anyone know what a "typical growth spurt time frame" would be? A week? X amount of days?

I called around this morning to his doc's office as well as a mother/baby support center at the hospital. Got differing stories - shessh. One says to not feed Jack so much and try Mycilon and the other says that as long as it's not more than 4 oz...try just an oz here and there first to see if it soothes him and also try to keep him awake longer between 6p-10p. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what his ped says later this week (at his 2 week appt)?

Thanks again!

4-5oz at 11days seems like a lot but if he doesn't spit up then i wouldn't worry too much about it. You could bring it up with your ped at your next visit.

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Would anyone know what a "typical growth spurt time frame" would be? A week? X amount of days?
    I think I asked the same thing when I first joined these forums. Growth spurts usually lasted anywhere from 2 days to a week for us. I think the first three months felt like one big growth spurt sometimes!

Hi, My LO went through her first growth spurt around the same time (it lasted for 2 days) im told they sometimes last a week tho!!
    It might seem like alot but after that i was worried she wasnt eating enough!

HTH

Thanks again for all the great advice!

I'm so glad that I found this forum!

After reading many other postings and talking with the mother/baby support center at the hospital I delivered at, I'm thinking that perhaps my little one is going through a growth spurt. It's just hard to be waking up nearly every hour during the middle of the night! Also, someone pointed out that my little one may be still getting his days/nights mixed up. Their advice was to try to keep him as active as you could during night time hours (6p-10p)...I tried doing that tonight and am not sure if I accomplished that - he slept nearly the entire time! Any suggestions on what else I could try tomorrow if my efforts tonight didn't work? I left the main lights on (which I normally dim during the late night marathon feedings), changed his diaper and tried to interact with him more.

Thanks again!